View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:15 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ] 
 New Server will enable rFactor 2 

It looks like technology is going to take care of itself in our favor at the end of September.

I paid our server bill which prompted a phone call from the gentleman that runs NRT Servers that we use for league racing.

I won't attempt to explain beyond the facts that he is building new servers and we will be able to use any PC sim.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:20 pm
Profile WWW

After my initial giddiness, reality has set in with what amounts to endless options and decisions that have to be made regarding at the very least a sim and mods.

My initial thought is that whatever happens we'll run Trans Am 2018 as scheduled and probably play around with new sims one or two days a week and see where that leads.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:49 pm
Profile WWW

Are we going to swap to Rfactor 2 ( I have it)

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:12 pm

I think most of us have rFactor 2. Needs to be a lot of discussion on this subject. RF2 is really great but I have a few frustrations with it, still doesn't seem completed, everytime we try to find a server to run in it's always spending most of the time downloading and installing stuff. Of course as a league server that wouldn't be a issue.

You need to have a pretty good newer PC with a good graphics card to be able to race with others on the track to get any usable frame rate, it varies.

Chris and Dale have more experience with it, also Rich and Hutty have done some racing. I've participated in a few over the years with GBR.

I like Assetto Corsa a lot but only have raced on open servers and mostly at Spa with 20+, lucky if you get through the first turn without getting plowed into from behind. Again on a league server would be different.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:57 pm

rF2 is been a work-in-progress for several years. I'd say that just in the last 6 months am I seeing some of the graphics inefficiencies dealt with such that framerates have improved dramatically which goes a long way towards making the sim seem better.

The sim itself brings big improvements in dynamic track and tire behavoir however flat-spotting is worth a caution. Lock up a tire and you may be pitting because the vibrations are so bad.

On the admin side there is more work to set up a race requiring packaging of content. It's not hard but it's not rF1's process of being able to quick start a server. I run my own server so I don't know what tools NRT has available for that. Drivers need to stay on top of patching etc..** Even though rF2 contains its own HTTP server to transfer content, it's slow and the load of 10+ drivers connecting at once and downloading tracks might be a bad thing for the server's performance. However, that may be another area that NRT can improve things. IIRC, NRT is the hoster for Studio397's official race servers, so they know what they're doing.

Skin management is a race admin's dream... it's built-in and optional (checkbox in the server launcher). No skin packs to manage.

** this gets a lot easier if you only use content on the rF2 Workshop. Drivers simply Subscribe to the content and it's auto-updated via Steam every time rF2 is launched. Steam's servers are extremely fast. You can create custom Workshop content as well... I distributed a GBR track pack that way.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Barry King wrote:
Are we going to swap to Rfactor 2 ( I have it)

No decision has been made to change from rFactor 1.

I headlined with rF2 as I value how much enjoyment I have gotten from rF1 and because from what I've heard it offers the best physics.

The new server will give us the OPTION to use a different sim. Currently, we can only use rFactor 1. The new server will allow us to use:

Some of the race tittles that are able to be ran are:

: Assetto Corsa
: Pcars 1 & 2
: rFactor 1 & 2
: Automobilista
: Arca X
: and any other dedicated server that has an .exe

Yes, boyz, that means we can even play a first person shooter...

The only reason I see to switch away from rFactor is to increase the number of racers and prevent more of us from leaving for new challenges or simply boredom with the same old thing; we're enjoying some of the best racing ever but more good drivers would make it better.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:10 am
Profile WWW

I'm totally up for RF2 8-)
Testing and mini seasons
It's hard to beat the TA historic mod so I'm a for sure on that every year but the sports cars can burn me out on the 15 week seasons
Some historic open wheel would be dope :P

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Just to add here, since I upgraded the 'puter I am now able to run and have been playing around with Rf2, automobilista, Assetto Cora and would definately be up for testing any of those.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am

As stated previously, I'm ready for rF2 whenever I can get to my computer.

"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Our current race server will be shut down permanently after Sunday September 30.

The new server can be found in Matchmaker as "efnetsimracing.com #2"

The new server IP is 172.245.177.101:34197

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
Our current race server will be shut down permanently after Sunday September 30.

The new server can be found in Matchmaker as "efnetsimracing.com #2"

The new server IP is 172.245.177.101:34197
Thanks Tom. :D

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:45 pm

It turns out that we can run multiple servers SIMULTANEOUSLY.

It feels like I'll be asking myself for computer upgrades for Christmas and rolling up my sleeves to add other sims.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:54 pm
Profile WWW

rF2 is on sale for $16 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/365960/rFactor_2/

the GT3 challengers pack (released this week) is $17 - https://store.steampowered.com/itemstor ... tail/1005/

full weather, full day night transition, real 24 hour races with driver swaps... blah blah

why have a triple screen when you can run full VR? :twisted:

(the action starts around the 3 minute marker)

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Bought rF2. Thank you, Jonathan.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:20 pm
Profile WWW

So when's the server hosting rF2?

Plenty o' fun without paid content as well.

"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Maybe one of the other admins can devote some time to it sooner than I will be able to but from my standpoint once I'm once ready for or done with my 2018 taxes and we're into the GTC season I should be able to spend time on setting up an rF2 server.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
Maybe one of the other admins can devote some time to it sooner than I will be able to but from my standpoint once I'm once ready for or done with my 2018 taxes and we're into the GTC season I should be able to spend time on setting up an rF2 server.
If I get some time I can look into that in the coming weeks.

Full disclosure here; We, being TUM have been racing Assetto Corsa way more then RF2. I think it is easier to get into and race, it is a lot of fun, good variety of tracks and cars, better physics then RF1. Having said that RF2 is fantastic and really "Thee" sim, but it is still not a jump in and go. Every time the four of us try to jump in server it seems to be messing around for 30mins or so of downloading this or that or updating, or needing to buy DLC content, ect. RF2 in spite of all the improvements still requires a good PC system with some horsepower in the graphics to get good frame rate and looking good. Assetto is easier on the system requirements and still looks great with good frame rate.

Others may chime in here with a different opinion, but I feel Assetto Corsa would the easier transition knowing this league then RF2.

One other thing is both RF2 and Assetto Corsa are using Steam now so don't how that works with remote servers. ;)

Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm not as familiar with AC as rF2. As I spend more time with AC, I enjoy it more and more. rF2's physics is pretty impressive. AC physics seems a little easier to drive. I've done lots of online racing in rF2 and very little with AC. rF2 tracks and mods can be distributed outside of Steam, as can AC content. I have not heard anything about admins tweaking cars for league parity, the way Tom does with rF1. AC is probably easier on system requirements. Personally I prefer rF2 because I can feel the physics better, but it will be a big change either way.

I just remembered this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=
Based on the original ISI/Studio397 1967 Howston G4, modified by woochoo.
Inspired by a classic 1967 endurance race in France. Includes 29 unique sets of physics, to provide a variety of multi-class racing. The new physics have adjusted: weight/inertia; engines; gearboxes; fuel tanks; aero, a variety of slightly modified body shapes with styling cues, a slightly modified wheel shape (they're still round), different wheel colours, and a variety of engine sounds. Now also includes two cars with giant movable rear wings, Chaparral 2F. All cars maintain the standard 1967 G4 suspension, track/wheelbase, and tyres. The slower cars still have the original G4 fuel tank size and consumption, which might help them in multi-pitstop races.

So adjustments to equalize cars are possible. I have no idea how much work is required to accomplish this. This modder also has created different skins for each car.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:02 am

My 2 bits,

RF2 is the promised land, AC i would consider as a side gig.

They both have great things going for them, but RF2 physics dominate AC, I liken AC physics similar to
RF1 but not as good as REELFEEL.

KJ mentioned some of the not so great bits regarding RF2, load time is, well if you need a drink and a p break, not that big of a deal, while
getting into a server is a bit of a challenge due to the lack of details on the server list page, would not be an issue for us because
the league server would be easily located.

Remember in the early days of RF, mismatches, tdf, hdv, weird files that we dealt with? We now have the workshop for RF2 content that
automatically updates any content you are subscribed to.

Experiment with gfx settings!! if you are attempting to run RF2 or even AC on an "older" machine, you may have to sacrifice a little.

RF2 open server play is dominated by league and modder servers, racers!!

AC open server rooms consist of 30% racers and a mix of gamers driving with game pads or worse, keyboards :evil:

RF1 was/will be the biggest gift sim racing could ask for, 100's of mods and tracks for free, all DLC that i have paid for
in RF2 has been easily justified.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:15 pm

JimmyC wrote:
I'm not as familiar with AC as rF2. As I spend more time with AC, I enjoy it more and more. rF2's physics is pretty impressive. AC physics seems a little easier to drive. I've done lots of online racing in rF2 and very little with AC. rF2 tracks and mods can be distributed outside of Steam, as can AC content. I have not heard anything about admins tweaking cars for league parity, the way Tom does with rF1. AC is probably easier on system requirements. Personally I prefer rF2 because I can feel the physics better, but it will be a big change either way.

I just remembered this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=
Based on the original ISI/Studio397 1967 Howston G4, modified by woochoo.
Inspired by a classic 1967 endurance race in France. Includes 29 unique sets of physics, to provide a variety of multi-class racing. The new physics have adjusted: weight/inertia; engines; gearboxes; fuel tanks; aero, a variety of slightly modified body shapes with styling cues, a slightly modified wheel shape (they're still round), different wheel colours, and a variety of engine sounds. Now also includes two cars with giant movable rear wings, Chaparral 2F. All cars maintain the standard 1967 G4 suspension, track/wheelbase, and tyres. The slower cars still have the original G4 fuel tank size and consumption, which might help them in multi-pitstop races.

So adjustments to equalize cars are possible. I have no idea how much work is required to accomplish this. This modder also has created different skins for each car.

Jim, i have driven these cars several times,very cool! i love the lolas!! if anybody subscribes to this, make sure to go into the
upgrades and grab the bigger wheel package, way more fun ;)

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:21 pm

So what up with the decision to go to rF2 or something else? Waiting in the wings...

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Mike Campbell wrote:
So what up with the decision to go to rF2 or something else? Waiting in the wings...
Nothing yet, for the time being it's still going to be RF1

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi all, if they hold a championship I'm in. :mrgreen:

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:27 pm

We are overdue on getting an rFactor 2 server up.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 pm
Profile WWW

I poked around the Steam workshop for rFactor2. Someone created the Toad circuit from Mario Kart.
So...... I'm in.

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:11 pm

I finally installed rF2 over the weekend (having bought it last Christmas) so there is a better chance that we'll make some tangible progress in the direction of having an rF2 server up this summer.

I momentarily only have the standard current rF2 content which I think consisted of 53 cars and tracks.

I expect that there are many more tracks available through Workshop but initial impressions are that there are not enough tracks for our purposes, I found myself much more interested and intrigued by the different/new physics and that even though rF1 is a big jump from a video game and a proper sim, rF2 is even more of a proper sim that will take some learning but would make us better drivers.

On the downside, I was disappointed and annoyed that the Honda Civic Touring Car that I first picked was coincidentally unsuited to the first track (Indy road course), hitting the rev limiter well before the end of the straight despite having the tallest gearing; with rF1, I can easily fix just about anything with the cars that isn't graphical, rF2 took that away.

Last I heard, Dave Hutton took upon himself to help us out with identifying the best rF2 mods for us to consider to help us have something up for the summer. We've obviously missed on that but I am hoping to at least get a server up for August to maybe attract some new drivers for Trans Am in the fall.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:09 pm
Profile WWW

Looking forward to something new. Willing to help progress in any way I can. Just let me know. Cheers!

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 pm

I've been enjoying rF2 for quite a while now. I'll get back to you with some suggestions for cars and tracks.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 pm

The Howston Dissenter 1974 is likely the closest to this league's car choices in the base content.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =933357103

Tom Lory wrote:
rF2 is even more of a proper sim that will take some learning but would make us better drivers.

Tire temperature management may be the biggest adjustment to long time rF1 users. Abuse is punished with a lack of grip.

And yeah... the lack of access to most vehicle files is restrictive. You can unpack, edit and repack unencrypted car files though, IIRC.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Here are some of my favorites in alphabetical order, all of them available in the Steam Workshop. Names in the list are how they are titled in the workshop. This list doesn't include items not in the workshop, nor PayWare. I have over 350 car/ track "packages."

Cars:
1954 Endurance Sports Cars
1967 Endurance Proto, Sports, GT
Brabham BT20 1966
Datsun 510 Sedan
Datsun Blueburd sss (510 Coupe)
EVE Historics 1968
Howston Dissenter 1974
Howston G4 1968
Howston G6 1968
Porsche 917k 0.76
SkipBarber 2013
Spark Historics 1968
Stock Car Resurrection 1971-1972

Tracks:
Bathurst 2014
Belgium 1966
Brianza 1966
Bridgehampton
Buenos Aires Historic
Croft Circuit, UK
Killarney International Raceway
Lester 2.0
LimeRockPark 2012
Longford 1967
Mid Ohio Virtua_LM
MonteCarlo 1966
Oulton Park Circuit 2015
Portland International Raceway
Riverside International Raceway
Road America 2016 v1.4
Road Atlanta 2017 V1.10
Rouen-les-Essarts v0.97
Silverstone 2012
Silverstone GP 1975
Suzuka
VIRginia Raceway
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen International v1.02

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks, Jimmy.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:00 pm
Profile WWW

After my initial giddiness, rF2 is giving me a headache.

My feeling is that rF1 remains the best way for us to go racing, unfortunately "us" are 12 :(

My goal is to have server up by the end of week, need to decide car(s) and track.

We'll talk about this after tonight's races.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm
Profile WWW

NRT helped me put up a server (three emails in at this point).

Standard rF2 Nissan 370Z plus a nice version of Laguna Seca:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aq7Vhy ... sp=sharing

I see it in multiplayer but I can't join ("missing package") but I expect that is because I don't know what I am doing with rF2, expecting to just click and go seeing how I have the car and the track.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:02 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
I see it in multiplayer but I can't join ("missing package")

Same here even after installing the track.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks, Dale.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:22 pm
Profile WWW

Lets discuss as a group after tonight's races. I'm sure we can come some kind resolution.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:43 pm

I see why, wrong 370Z in Vehicles folder.

My RF2 370Z is "Nissan_370z_2012" in the Vehicles folder, the one that I found on the Internet and uploaded to NRT is "370z_car".

I don't how to create a "package" with the proper 370Z , assume that I can't simply copy the Nissan_370z_2012 folder to NRT and don't know how to create the server instruction file anyway so I am going to install the 370Z on my PC the 370Z that I installed on the server.

Here it is:

coming

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
I don't how to create a "package" with the proper 370Z , assume that I can't simply copy the Nissan_370z_2012 folder to NRT and don't know how to create the server instruction file anyway so I am going to install the 370Z on my PC the 370Z that I installed on the server.

Usually it's just a matter of putting the desired content's RFCMP in the Packages folder on the server. You'd either FTP it there or download on the server via RDP Desktop.

On my server, I connect with Remote Desktop (which appears to be an option with NRT) then use ModMgr.exe to install the content before using MAS2.exe to create the package. NRT may have a streamlined tool for all this.

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 am

Thanks, Dale.

Yes, Remote Desktop for NRT.

I seem to have figured it out, played with the .MAS utility and MOD manager, expecting trial and error method but got it the first time.

"Efnet Sim Racing Test 002" is up and running with the 370Z.

I was able to create an .rfmcp file for the correct Nissan 370Z and thereby install the correct 370Z to the NRT server.

To host a dedicated server, I needed to create a "mod" which seemingly can be a combination of any cars and tracks that are on the server, then select that "mod" (in this case Efnet Sim Racing Test 002) when starting a dedicated server.

It's actually pretty quick an easy using the utilities included in rF2. Harder than with rF1 BUT with rF1 you couldn't have cars from different mods on the track at the same time.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:19 am
Profile WWW

I was able to join your server.

Just take the RFCMP file from your link and drop it into Steam/steamapps/common/rf2/packages folder.
Then start the rf2 launcher, and click on the CONTENT button (open box icon). find your map and click install. then join.

fun mod, fun track... ill be lurking there often with my new rig. :mrgreen:

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:20 am

Tom Lory wrote:
It's actually pretty quick an easy using the utilities included in rF2. Harder than with rF1 BUT with rF1 you couldn't have cars from different mods on the track at the same time.

Excellent. I just saw your server in the server list and connected successfully.

Once you learn the workflow it's easy-ish to spin up servers. Like you say, not easy as rF1 though!

You can also create Subscriptions for an entire season of content that you can modify at will and everyone then automatically updates through Steam but the tools for that are terrible and normal users can't create private listings AFAIK.

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:28 am

I am done for tonight.

Server is up with Acura NSX, Howsten Dissenter and Nissan 370Z @ Laguna Seca.

Uploading cars and tracks takes longer than with rF1 so I need to be picky.

server name for rF2 is "www.efnetsimracing.com"

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:08 am
Profile WWW

Server is up with Acura NSX, Howsten Dissenter and Nissan 370Z at Road Atlanta.

When you pick the cars there is a button with something like "tuning" which takes you to upgrades. The NSX-R has tire, engine, transmission and differential options. I went with the small engine that revs the highest (probably Type R), 6-speed, most aggressive locking diff (last one in the choices) and the bigger tires and wheels. When I joined and selected the upgrades, rF2 gave me a message that those upgrades would now be required, as in anyone joining the server would automatically get them but look for them anyway.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm
Profile WWW

OK Tom. Will try as soon as I can. Thanks!

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:31 pm

I found this tool for rating your PC and its suitability for rFactor 2:

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/input/?game=rfactor-2

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 pm
Profile WWW

results as expected for my game PC and rFactor 2:

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 pm
Profile WWW

I just tried it and got in fine. My rig wasn't hooked up so didn't run.

Just tested my system with that tool and I passed, but I can tell you passing and running smoothly with multiple cars and certain tracks are a different thing.

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Same tool for rFactor:

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/input/?game=rfactor

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pm
Profile WWW

results for my PC with rFactor:

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:33 pm
Profile WWW

Looking further at the tools my system rates at 69% for RF2, I only have 8 gig of ram and have wanted to up it to 16 so may do that next, and then........................................... :mrgreen:

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:47 pm

I ran the tool for a ~$700 HP gaming oriented PC that I had my eye on at Costco watching for it to go on sale.

The processor was at 900% but the graphics card was inadequate but that sets the worst case for me at $700 plus a graphics card.

If I feel a time crunch and my power supply will handle it, I'll probably just start with a new graphics card for my current PC which I could then transfer over to whatever newer PC I might buy.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Profile WWW

K Juliot wrote:
Looking further at the tools my system rates at 69% for RF2, I only have 8 gig of ram and have wanted to up it to 16 so may do that next, and then........................................... :mrgreen:

I think that % rating is for all games that are out there, as in your PC is good to go for 69% of them.

My PCGameBenchmark rating was 35% with both the rFactor and rRactor 2 tools.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 pm
Profile WWW

Last night I looked for the Real Road settings for the dedicated server, which are accessed through the "weather" button :roll:

There are settings for temperature, humidity, weather/sky, wind speed and wind direction, session by session. :shock:

I didn't see a setting for already rubbered in so I set it to naturally progressing (?) with a 15X multiplier.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:53 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for working on this. I'm hoping to try the server when I get a moment. I usually avoid radial tired cars in rF2; so I'll probably try the Dissenter which I've enjoyed before.

The options for RealRoad vary from track to track. I choose "Auto save" when it's available, otherwise "Naturally Progressing." 15X Multiplier is my standard also.

The link for rating my PC gave me a 75%. From what I saw once upon a time, rF2 works better with NVidia cards than Radeon. Don't know if that's still true.

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Tom Lory wrote:
Last night I looked for the Real Road settings for the dedicated server, which are accessed through the "weather" button :roll:

There are settings for temperature, humidity, weather/sky, wind speed and wind direction, session by session. :shock:

I didn't see a setting for already rubbered in so I set it to naturally progressing (?) with a 15X multiplier.

Some of the weather settings do nothing. IIRC, wind is a visual effect only and humidity does nothing (though I could be out-of-date).

If a track doesn't have good presets, I make my own RealRoad files with what I call the 10/10/10 rule. In offline I run 10 AI for 10 laps at 10x, save the rrbin file then upload that to the server and set it as the starting rubber state with Naturally Progressing. IIRC, all of the the rrbins on the official tracks were created "live" by the S397 test team and represent more like what real drivers create vs. AI in a train.

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks, Dale.

I enabled the "Stockcar Resurrection 1971-1972" cars on the server with 10 AI prepping the track.

Bigger and fatter than the HGTTC Trans Am cars but they drive nice with some glorious sounds in-car. I think that our regular drivers will enjoy these.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 am
Profile WWW

I finally figured out how to change my rF2 name from my steam name...

Make sure that the rF2 launcher is not running in the background first.
Go to ----> C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/.rFactor/rFactor.name
If it's not there or you can't find it, just do a Windows Explorer search for "rFactor.name"
Edit the file with notepad, and change your name... then save. Done!

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Jonathan Hill wrote:
I finally figured out how to change my rF2 name from my steam name...

Make sure that the rF2 launcher is not running in the background first.
Go to ----> C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/.rFactor/rFactor.name
If it's not there or you can't find it, just do a Windows Explorer search for "rFactor.name"
Edit the file with notepad, and change your name... then save. Done!
Thanks! I thought I had done mine before but as you seen the other night it is the Steam name.

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Dissenter and Stock car at Road Atlanta: Even with the long straight the Dissenter is still a little quicker.... It just doesn't sound as good. :D

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 pm

K Juliot wrote:
Thanks! I thought I had done mine before but as you seen the other night it is the Steam name.

There is also a check box on the server for "Enforce Real Name" to handle users that have both a nickname and real name attached to their rF2 profile.

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:10 am

Thanks, Dale.

Jonathan's method didn't work for me, at least not the way that I understood it.

I did find the equivalent of the .PLR file and changed my name but it didn't stick, I'll try the checkbox on the server.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Profile WWW

I'm not sure if you couldn't find the file, or if changing and saving the file didn't work, Tom. If you can't find the file, it might be because some of the folders are hidden by default.

You are looking for this ---> rFactor.name

- close Steam & rF2 launcher
- open Windows Explorer
- navigate to C:/Users/(your name)
- at the top, click view, then tick the box for 'Hidden Items'
- this should reveal the AppData folder
- navigate to AppData/Roaming/.rFactor
- inside the '.rFactor' folder is a file named rFactor.name
- you can edit this file using notepad. Here you can change both names Dale was talking about.
- SAVE the file, then join a server to check. it should overwrite your configs in steam.

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Worked, thank you Jonathan!

What failed earlier for me was that "rFactor.name" wasn't found with search (Windows 7) but I realized after finding it using the path that you detailed, that "rFactor" does return a number of results, just need to interpret which result is rFactor.name; I couldn't find the required file earler.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 am
Profile WWW

Here are some 70s Aussie cars and a Z28, you can even supercharge them for extra fun http://www.aussielegends.xfactorracing.com/

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:48 am

Moving to rFactor 2 forum

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 65 posts ]