View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 New Server will enable rFactor 2 

It looks like technology is going to take care of itself in our favor at the end of September.

I paid our server bill which prompted a phone call from the gentleman that runs NRT Servers that we use for league racing.

I won't attempt to explain beyond the facts that he is building new servers and we will be able to use any PC sim.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:20 pm
Profile WWW

After my initial giddiness, reality has set in with what amounts to endless options and decisions that have to be made regarding at the very least a sim and mods.

My initial thought is that whatever happens we'll run Trans Am 2018 as scheduled and probably play around with new sims one or two days a week and see where that leads.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:49 pm
Profile WWW

Are we going to swap to Rfactor 2 ( I have it)

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:12 pm

I think most of us have rFactor 2. Needs to be a lot of discussion on this subject. RF2 is really great but I have a few frustrations with it, still doesn't seem completed, everytime we try to find a server to run in it's always spending most of the time downloading and installing stuff. Of course as a league server that wouldn't be a issue.

You need to have a pretty good newer PC with a good graphics card to be able to race with others on the track to get any usable frame rate, it varies.

Chris and Dale have more experience with it, also Rich and Hutty have done some racing. I've participated in a few over the years with GBR.

I like Assetto Corsa a lot but only have raced on open servers and mostly at Spa with 20+, lucky if you get through the first turn without getting plowed into from behind. Again on a league server would be different.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:57 pm

rF2 is been a work-in-progress for several years. I'd say that just in the last 6 months am I seeing some of the graphics inefficiencies dealt with such that framerates have improved dramatically which goes a long way towards making the sim seem better.

The sim itself brings big improvements in dynamic track and tire behavoir however flat-spotting is worth a caution. Lock up a tire and you may be pitting because the vibrations are so bad.

On the admin side there is more work to set up a race requiring packaging of content. It's not hard but it's not rF1's process of being able to quick start a server. I run my own server so I don't know what tools NRT has available for that. Drivers need to stay on top of patching etc..** Even though rF2 contains its own HTTP server to transfer content, it's slow and the load of 10+ drivers connecting at once and downloading tracks might be a bad thing for the server's performance. However, that may be another area that NRT can improve things. IIRC, NRT is the hoster for Studio397's official race servers, so they know what they're doing.

Skin management is a race admin's dream... it's built-in and optional (checkbox in the server launcher). No skin packs to manage.

** this gets a lot easier if you only use content on the rF2 Workshop. Drivers simply Subscribe to the content and it's auto-updated via Steam every time rF2 is launched. Steam's servers are extremely fast. You can create custom Workshop content as well... I distributed a GBR track pack that way.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Barry King wrote:
Are we going to swap to Rfactor 2 ( I have it)

No decision has been made to change from rFactor 1.

I headlined with rF2 as I value how much enjoyment I have gotten from rF1 and because from what I've heard it offers the best physics.

The new server will give us the OPTION to use a different sim. Currently, we can only use rFactor 1. The new server will allow us to use:

Some of the race tittles that are able to be ran are:

: Assetto Corsa
: Pcars 1 & 2
: rFactor 1 & 2
: Automobilista
: Arca X
: and any other dedicated server that has an .exe

Yes, boyz, that means we can even play a first person shooter...

The only reason I see to switch away from rFactor is to increase the number of racers and prevent more of us from leaving for new challenges or simply boredom with the same old thing; we're enjoying some of the best racing ever but more good drivers would make it better.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:10 am
Profile WWW

I'm totally up for RF2 8-)
Testing and mini seasons
It's hard to beat the TA historic mod so I'm a for sure on that every year but the sports cars can burn me out on the 15 week seasons
Some historic open wheel would be dope :P

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Just to add here, since I upgraded the 'puter I am now able to run and have been playing around with Rf2, automobilista, Assetto Cora and would definately be up for testing any of those.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am

As stated previously, I'm ready for rF2 whenever I can get to my computer.

"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Our current race server will be shut down permanently after Sunday September 30.

The new server can be found in Matchmaker as "efnetsimracing.com #2"

The new server IP is 172.245.177.101:34197

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
Our current race server will be shut down permanently after Sunday September 30.

The new server can be found in Matchmaker as "efnetsimracing.com #2"

The new server IP is 172.245.177.101:34197
Thanks Tom. :D

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:45 pm

It turns out that we can run multiple servers SIMULTANEOUSLY.

It feels like I'll be asking myself for computer upgrades for Christmas and rolling up my sleeves to add other sims.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:54 pm
Profile WWW

rF2 is on sale for $16 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/365960/rFactor_2/

the GT3 challengers pack (released this week) is $17 - https://store.steampowered.com/itemstor ... tail/1005/

full weather, full day night transition, real 24 hour races with driver swaps... blah blah

why have a triple screen when you can run full VR? :twisted:

(the action starts around the 3 minute marker)

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Bought rF2. Thank you, Jonathan.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:20 pm
Profile WWW

So when's the server hosting rF2?

Plenty o' fun without paid content as well.

"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Maybe one of the other admins can devote some time to it sooner than I will be able to but from my standpoint once I'm once ready for or done with my 2018 taxes and we're into the GTC season I should be able to spend time on setting up an rF2 server.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
Maybe one of the other admins can devote some time to it sooner than I will be able to but from my standpoint once I'm once ready for or done with my 2018 taxes and we're into the GTC season I should be able to spend time on setting up an rF2 server.
If I get some time I can look into that in the coming weeks.

Full disclosure here; We, being TUM have been racing Assetto Corsa way more then RF2. I think it is easier to get into and race, it is a lot of fun, good variety of tracks and cars, better physics then RF1. Having said that RF2 is fantastic and really "Thee" sim, but it is still not a jump in and go. Every time the four of us try to jump in server it seems to be messing around for 30mins or so of downloading this or that or updating, or needing to buy DLC content, ect. RF2 in spite of all the improvements still requires a good PC system with some horsepower in the graphics to get good frame rate and looking good. Assetto is easier on the system requirements and still looks great with good frame rate.

Others may chime in here with a different opinion, but I feel Assetto Corsa would the easier transition knowing this league then RF2.

One other thing is both RF2 and Assetto Corsa are using Steam now so don't how that works with remote servers. ;)

Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm not as familiar with AC as rF2. As I spend more time with AC, I enjoy it more and more. rF2's physics is pretty impressive. AC physics seems a little easier to drive. I've done lots of online racing in rF2 and very little with AC. rF2 tracks and mods can be distributed outside of Steam, as can AC content. I have not heard anything about admins tweaking cars for league parity, the way Tom does with rF1. AC is probably easier on system requirements. Personally I prefer rF2 because I can feel the physics better, but it will be a big change either way.

I just remembered this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=
Based on the original ISI/Studio397 1967 Howston G4, modified by woochoo.
Inspired by a classic 1967 endurance race in France. Includes 29 unique sets of physics, to provide a variety of multi-class racing. The new physics have adjusted: weight/inertia; engines; gearboxes; fuel tanks; aero, a variety of slightly modified body shapes with styling cues, a slightly modified wheel shape (they're still round), different wheel colours, and a variety of engine sounds. Now also includes two cars with giant movable rear wings, Chaparral 2F. All cars maintain the standard 1967 G4 suspension, track/wheelbase, and tyres. The slower cars still have the original G4 fuel tank size and consumption, which might help them in multi-pitstop races.

So adjustments to equalize cars are possible. I have no idea how much work is required to accomplish this. This modder also has created different skins for each car.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:02 am

My 2 bits,

RF2 is the promised land, AC i would consider as a side gig.

They both have great things going for them, but RF2 physics dominate AC, I liken AC physics similar to
RF1 but not as good as REELFEEL.

KJ mentioned some of the not so great bits regarding RF2, load time is, well if you need a drink and a p break, not that big of a deal, while
getting into a server is a bit of a challenge due to the lack of details on the server list page, would not be an issue for us because
the league server would be easily located.

Remember in the early days of RF, mismatches, tdf, hdv, weird files that we dealt with? We now have the workshop for RF2 content that
automatically updates any content you are subscribed to.

Experiment with gfx settings!! if you are attempting to run RF2 or even AC on an "older" machine, you may have to sacrifice a little.

RF2 open server play is dominated by league and modder servers, racers!!

AC open server rooms consist of 30% racers and a mix of gamers driving with game pads or worse, keyboards :evil:

RF1 was/will be the biggest gift sim racing could ask for, 100's of mods and tracks for free, all DLC that i have paid for
in RF2 has been easily justified.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:15 pm

JimmyC wrote:
I'm not as familiar with AC as rF2. As I spend more time with AC, I enjoy it more and more. rF2's physics is pretty impressive. AC physics seems a little easier to drive. I've done lots of online racing in rF2 and very little with AC. rF2 tracks and mods can be distributed outside of Steam, as can AC content. I have not heard anything about admins tweaking cars for league parity, the way Tom does with rF1. AC is probably easier on system requirements. Personally I prefer rF2 because I can feel the physics better, but it will be a big change either way.

I just remembered this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... earchtext=
Based on the original ISI/Studio397 1967 Howston G4, modified by woochoo.
Inspired by a classic 1967 endurance race in France. Includes 29 unique sets of physics, to provide a variety of multi-class racing. The new physics have adjusted: weight/inertia; engines; gearboxes; fuel tanks; aero, a variety of slightly modified body shapes with styling cues, a slightly modified wheel shape (they're still round), different wheel colours, and a variety of engine sounds. Now also includes two cars with giant movable rear wings, Chaparral 2F. All cars maintain the standard 1967 G4 suspension, track/wheelbase, and tyres. The slower cars still have the original G4 fuel tank size and consumption, which might help them in multi-pitstop races.

So adjustments to equalize cars are possible. I have no idea how much work is required to accomplish this. This modder also has created different skins for each car.

Jim, i have driven these cars several times,very cool! i love the lolas!! if anybody subscribes to this, make sure to go into the
upgrades and grab the bigger wheel package, way more fun ;)

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:21 pm

So what up with the decision to go to rF2 or something else? Waiting in the wings...

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Mike Campbell wrote:
So what up with the decision to go to rF2 or something else? Waiting in the wings...
Nothing yet, for the time being it's still going to be RF1

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi all, if they hold a championship I'm in. :mrgreen:

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:27 pm

We are overdue on getting an rFactor 2 server up.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]