[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4747: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3882)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4749: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3882)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3882)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3882)
efnet#simracing Racing League - View topic - BTCC 2020 - Skin Requests, Submissions and Tips
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:05 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 BTCC 2020 - Skin Requests, Submissions and Tips 

Please request and post skins here.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:27 am
Profile WWW

I am not completely up to speed on how skins work in rF2 but I trust Dale that there is no need for a skinpack, rF2 somehow distributes skins when you join the server. I think that you make a skin which you install locally on your own PC and that's it.

I did a test skin from a default skin but couldn't replicate the file size, although the dimensions were right so the odds are about 50/50 on whether I'll have one in time for the first race.

Lots of nice stock liveries so as long as everyone's is unique we should quickly be able to recognize who is whom even without custom skins.

I expect that the usual painters like Tim and Cam Porter will have their hands full with their own cars but it can't hurt to ask. If I can learn the process in time then I can probably help out with personalized versions of stock skins, ie, apply name and number.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:27 am
Profile WWW

Templates for all except the Civic here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... JAViUi_mbT

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:55 pm
Profile WWW

I will not attempt to teach anyone how to make a skin for rF2. Good luck finding a simple tutorial for rF2 skins. All I can tell you is to use BC3/DXT5 compression according to one of the whiz kidz.

As far as creating the main and extra skins from either a template or a stock skin, it appears to be the same process as rF1 except that more refinement is possible. I unpacked the appropriate MAS file and used the default #2 Honda Civic skin as a starting point for my skin, just like rF1 when there was no template or I wanted to make a quick and easy skin.

However, installing the skins isn't a simple copy and paste into a skins folder like it was with rF1.

This got me pointed in the right direction:

https://get-good.net/index.php?title=Ge ... _rFactor_2

I deleted the ALT.dds that was generated during the process. That might be key as I tried installing a skin with the Stock Car Resurrection car and it didn't work. I named my skin alt_Lory26A01.dds

It seems like a ton of added complication BUT now we get what appears to be on our own car complete with driver name and team description which ends up in a User Data file which can easily edited.

I modified the stock body skin successfully will try the windows next because in BTCC that is where the car numbers and driver names are positioned.

According to Dale, no more skin packs, you make and install your skin into your own rFactor 2 installation and you are done.

As far as I can tell, the race server is happy, was able to see my skin and "Honda Yuasa Go Pro Evol" in the standings.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:42 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Tom for the work on this. I'll take a stab at making my skin before Sunday

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 am

Biggest problem with skin transfers on the server is lag as new guys enter the server and the server needs to upload and DL it all. The endurance leagues we run in turn this option off, but I do know that one of the reasons was spunk bubbles entering the server during a driver swap and creating lag because their skin was not the same or whatever. So shouldn't be an issue for this series tho.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:59 am

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:26 pm

I'm not 100% certain but it looks like if the server sees a new skin by its file name, then it will get it from the driver and then distribute it to drivers who join who don't already have it.

I edited my skin a number of times and replaced in my installation the previous skin with the same name. I could see my new skin but judging by the date and time, the server didn't take my new skin so I deleted all of the server files related to my skin and then joined again with the desired skin.

In rFactor we could of course see our skins when we were on the server but only those who had the skins could see them, too. I think that it is the same for rF2.

I saw in the server files there were a few skins stored from drivers with custom skins who had entered. None of those were transferred to my PC. I expect that if I had been present when they joined, I would have them.

I think that it is very important to perfect your skin before joining the server with it, otherwise the imperfect one will be distributed and you'll have to duplicate your desired perfect skin with a new name.

I believe that once we have created the directory for your skin and/or unique car, then you can simply paste skins into that folder so beyond the initial setup, adding skins isn't any harder than it was with rF1.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:36 am
Profile WWW

I reverse engineered Kit's Vauxhall skin and was able to make my custom windows appear.

Everything that we used to put in an "extras" folder with rFactor 1 needs to be added to a MAS file with the same name as the main body skin.

My current main skin is "alt_Lory26A11.dds"

All my extra stuff are "alt_Lory26A11xxxxxxxxx.dds" that need to be compressed into a MAS file "alt_Lory26A11.mas" using the utility built into rFactor 2.

So far same method for skins as rF1 except that I couldn't get an alpha layer mask to work for me.

Thanks, Kit!

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:03 am
Profile WWW

#900 sister car coming.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:16 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, I had to reverse engineer what I was doing too, to figure out skinning. Most annoying thing is that I cannot unlock the master MAS files so that I can get rid of the dam Vauxhall badge.

Car looks good Tom.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:19 pm

I was able to apply an Alpha layer mask to the main body skin to reduce the glossiness, same method as with rFactor skins, must have been making a mistake earlier.

Flatten image, right click on the main layer, add alpha channel then go to layer tab > add layer mask: layers alpha channel, then use the color selector tool and the V scale slider to pick a color between black (flat) and white (very reflective), I typically use about 13 on the V scale, select the paint bucket tool, left click anywhere on the working screen to apply (should see gray checkerboard), export as DDS BC3/DXT5.

I realized tonight that there is a difference between the inside and outside windshield. I'd been using the same for both with different names but in comparison to the stock skin looking at the exterior of the car, my windshield is too clear and has some artifacts. The side and rear windows are fine.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 am
Profile WWW

I too noticed the interior windows are different, I dont know where I find them. The old numbers and names still show faintly on them.

Thanks for the headsup re the alpha layer goodie. I shall tidy mine up with all that and my name too then it should be done.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:55 am

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]