View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Time to build a new PC... opinions needed, please! 

It looks like it's been a couple of years since we had the discussion about what to build to run RF2 and get the most bang for your buck...
I've got an old gamer that still runs RF1 fine, but it's time to get something I can run full detail everywhere and be able to run RF2 when we go there.

Help!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I'm okay with putting together a system. I'd like some ideas on what system/cpu/ram/vid card/etc that you guys would get if you were putting together your new system now.

I'm hoping better performance will get me back into racing on a regular basis! Thanks!

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:23 pm

HI Glenn.

Well it's the age old deal, the more you spend the better your performance will be. So good processor, memory and video card. Having said that I'm not up the latest stuff but to run RF2 a good faster multicore processor, you don't need a lot of core's, Mhz speed is a little more important. A quality supporting motherboard also. 16gb of memory can't hurt but 8 will work. Now we come to the important part and where the money needs to go, the video card. Nvidia chipset based cards are the current good cards, a 1070 or 1080 card with 4gb or more.

I run RF1 at full graphics with no issues and can race with RF2 decently. My system is not high end, it's an older build with an i5K 2500 processor at 3.2mhz, 8gb of memory running Win10. Here is where my system performance allowed to play RF2. My graphics card I upgraded to Nvidia 1050 4gb. My old system runs anything I race and plays HD videos with no issues. So that is why I say the video card is the biggie. I buy all my computer stuff from Micro Center, they are online but have a retail store a 40min drive from me.

Now some others may be up on the latest parts and have some recommendations for you.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 pm

What he said. Core i7 is wasted threads for gaming, as is RAM beyond 8gb. Make sure the mobo supports fastest NVidia cards and latest RAM speeds. NVidia cards still seem to work best with rF2. 4gb on the graphics card is probably enough? Make sure the power supply has enough power and connectors for the graphics card. Sounds like a fun Christmas list.

"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Glenn,

Initially bought for VR but now being used for sim racing and I have no problems with rF2 nor Assetto.

i7-7700k at 4.2 GHz - I've had other PC's in the 3's and can't agree more that the higher the chip speed the better
Nvidia GTX 1080, 8 Gb
16 Gigs of Ram

Been happy. Just don't get a SSD drive with an Intel chip. I had one and the 1083 win 10 update back in April sent my PC in an endless boot cycle. Bought a cheap 480 Gb SSD from Microcenter 'Inland' their house brand from China for like $60 and all is well. http://www.microcenter.com/product/5034 ... rive-(480g)

Good luck.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]