[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4747: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3882)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4749: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3882)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3882)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3882)
efnet#simracing Racing League - View topic - Virtual Reality Thread
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Virtual Reality Thread 

Merry Christmas to me!

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 am

Better than a bag of coal. Well done. Let us know how it works out for you? BTW which device and where'd you get it and how much did Santa pay for it?

"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Great news KJ! Surely you will enjoy it.

I have the Vive and it's a major wow with normal VR games. I tried it in rF2 and found it very difficult to be as fast without. Guess if I kept at it I would do better. It's nearly impossible to use VR with a keyboard and that is one of my biggest concerns. Good luck, maybe I'll be on Saturday night and try it again :D

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Spent some time with VR last week. RF2 racing is cool but not great yet, need some PC hardware upgrades to increase the horsepower and more so the video card. The truck driving sims are really a big improvement. You can really enjoy all the scenery details off to the sides so much more and way easier to check for traffic at stop sign intersections. This week I'll get Assetto Corsa working, it's supposed to look and work good in VR. :D

Downloaded Epic Roller Coasters last night and will try it out tonight, see how long it takes me to get sick. :shock: :lol:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Yep, remember that one, you will feel like your litterally falling out of it. Focus on the track and you won't pass out :D

a little tech tip if you have a Vive with a triple monitor set up. After being stupid late afternoon yesterday and disconnecting one of my hdmi cables, losing the display card set up and nearly not getting it all back before last night's race you can hook your Vive directly to the card along with your all your monitors using a dispaly port cable - of which is on order and anxious to go back and try it again.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Ok found my limit, not doing the roller coaster again. :ugeek:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:35 am

Last night I got Asseto Corsa working in VR. Wow so far this is the best VR driving experience I've had. It looks great, smooth frame rate and the interior, you look down and it looks like your sitting in the seat with a driving suit on and everything in proportion. :o

Another cool thing I figured out is if I get get out of the rig and stand off to the side, I'm outside the car looking at it. :shock:

Tried WWII flying game last night World of War Thunder it crashed the video card as soon as I would have been in the cockpit, so have to work on that one. :?

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:03 pm

Some follow up of using VR for racing sims and RF2. While it is a very cool experience and realistic there are a few caveats. And I'll start with maybe there might be some stuff I haven't figured out yet.

1: Can not get any driver names above cars, so don't know who is who and or AI. Did read a forum post from 2017 that this was shutoff in VR because of black box's showing up.

2: Can not type or respond in the text box because I can't see my keyboard. While my keyboard is on a swing arm on my right side and I can use a few keys like ESC by feel and knowing where they are at.

3: Removing the headset to use the PC monitor it is more or less not usable while in game. It just shows a windowed black screen, you can get the task bar to show if you ALT TAB some but anything you open like a browser is behind the black window.

4: Load times for RF2 are even longer for VR.

5: Loading the room and while loading the other drivers pages the VR view image is strobeing and doubled. I have to close my eyes till it finishes.

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:59 pm

I have many of those same comments, KJ. I'm far-sighted so have the added complication of lifting the headset to see something on screen, grabbing my glasses, making changes, glasses off, headset on.

Also, for me at least, VR isn't some magic portal to faster laptimes. I'm no quicker with it and in fact lose time when I'm trying to make changes, select pit options, etc.

Try it in ATS/ETS! You have to jump through some hoops to select the VR beta but once running it's a lot easier to see traffic at intersections, etc.

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:30 am

Dale I'm near sighted, I tried the headset without glasses and it was all blurry so I'm wearing my glasses, pain in the butt.

It's not magic for sure, I'm just happy that I'm still able to hang with the fast guys in the practice racing we've been doing. Ran 2.5 hours with the guys last night before I'd had enough. Didn't get any motion sick feelings, more just eye strain.

The second sim I tried after getting the Rift was ATS/ETS. It's a game changer in that sim because at stop signs you can just look right and left for traffic instead moving your look with the mouse. The other thing is I can enjoy the scenery out the windows, looking at more of the stuff off to the sides.

And forgot to add this one to the list above.
6: If you suddenly get a itch by your eyes, forehead or back of your head cant do anything about it while racing unless you remove the headset.

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:10 pm

I changed this to the VR thread as general discussion.

If I understand correctly there is potentially four of us using VR for racing and a fifth if my buddy joins us.

As a side note with the new PC build I went back to World of War Thunder WWII flying and it works great, flying in the cockpit view is really cool. It looks fantastic but holy crap talk about head spinning nausea if you fly too erratic with sudden moves. :roll:

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]