View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 new rFactor on disc from Amazon 

I figure that you guys might know as well as anyone what is going on.

My ~5 year old rFactor DVD is cracking from the center out so I order a new copy from Amazon, same v1.255 that I have. The box appears to be the same.

The disk itself has distinct banding of two different colors that is like what I get when I copy a DVD. My old rFactor disc does not.

The disk label is distinctly different from my old disc, same thing, looks like a copy.

Whatever, it is what is, as far as all that but in the end it fails disk check on both of my PCs so I'm returning it.

WTF? I'm worried that my original disk will crack to the extent that I can't use it and will be locked out of racing.

It's been at least two years since I pointed someone new to rFactor and he had no problems with the disc ordered from Amazon.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Profile WWW

Creating a copy that works is doable I believe, I can test that. I use a mounted image of my retail disc.

It's just used for the initial check as the copy protection on those old discs isn't Windows-compatible now anyways and you need 1.255g(?) to get around that.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Excuse me for asking but why are you worried about a disk? I've never needed a rF disk, just downloaded rFactor lite. I do have one that came with a logitech wheel.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 am

All ~20 of my rFactor installations are from the rFactor DVD.

rFactor won't load without the disc in the drive so I assume that if the disc cracks far enough it won't be read and my game won't run.

Obviously, worst case I guess I would have to start over with a downloaded rFactor but unprecedented issues with a physical disc aside I prefer having programs on disc. Pop it in, come back 5 minutes later and brand spanking new virgin rFactor installation ready to go.

How do you do multiple installations with Lite?

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:32 pm
Profile WWW

I've used a variation on your clean install, Tom. I made a rF install with a fresh install, added TrackMap, 4GB patch, Fanatec LED plug-in, custom config.ini to point to my track folder, etc. then zipped that up for archiving. When I need a new install I just unpack the Zip file.

K Juliot wrote:
Excuse me for asking but why are you worried about a disk? I've never needed a rF disk, just downloaded rFactor lite. I do have one that came with a logitech wheel.

There have been a few iterations of rFactor:

- DVD with copy protection (CP system now not compatible with Windows)
- That Logitech version (I didn't realize it was a working version, always assumed it was a demo or something)
- Digital download version
- Steam

Steam is the latest version and is 4GB patched, support for 6 controllers and a few other technical refinements.

I will test the disc image method tonight.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks, Dale.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:48 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
How do you do multiple installations with Lite?
Sorry I wasn't trying to be smart ass. :oops:

I know Pat and probably most of the other TUM guys never went the disc route either. It was just download and then email for a code, unlocked. Once you had unlocked version you could install as many RF Lites as you wanted and they were then unlocked too. So over the years with new PC build and then Windows 10 install I have had to download the latest version. So with my original email info I've gotten a new code, unlock new version, then take that new RF executable and paste it into any of my existing RF Lites and they work again.

I haven't had to deal with any of this since Studio 397 took over, so don't know how smooth it works now. :roll:

Tom I totally hear you on the having a physical copy thing. If I had to do it over I'd go the Steam route, I did that when it was free to convert over with RF2, so easy always updated. :D

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:01 pm

good luck Tom - I've always used the download from rfactor and pay for the key. Never a ran into any major issues except some limitations on number of times for full installs but unlimited lite installs.

btw - I like Steam guys - just subscribe to the channels and everything updates automatically.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 am

Tom Lory wrote:
Thanks, Dale.

So yeah... the image or a copy made from it won't work unless there's a disc protection emulator running as a middle man so that option is out. The software I have for that costs more than replacing rFactor.

I can also recommend the Steam version. There's an extra step to allow multiple installs and/or convert your existing ones to run with Steam but it's a minor fix.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Okay, then, being super gentle with disc.

Thanks for all the testing, Dale.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]