View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Suzuka F1 Crash 

Found this video of the crash, all I can say is now I know why he is bad shape. Also seen that there was picture showing a green flag waving and not a yellow.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/vi ... deo-100614

Think there is going to be a serious evaluation of the way the track promoters and F1 handled the whole weekend knowing of the storm coming in. The race could have been raced right after the morning support races on Sunday instead of waiting till 3pm local time.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Holy shit! :shock: That guy's lucky to be alive. I hope he pulls through.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:35 am

K Juliot wrote:
Found this video of the crash, all I can say is now I know why he is bad shape. Also seen that there was picture showing a green flag waving and not a yellow.

I'm hesitant to comment on this without good evidence but the one video that's floating around shows the marshall at station 12 waving green. If you look carefully he's on the other side of the collision and is displaying green because that sector is past the sector with yellows.

I did rewatch the world feed coverage tonight. It's kind of chilling knowing what the medical staff are doing at the time and the announcers have no idea that Bianchi is not in the race anymore. The world feed director did though... Bianchi's name flashes up on the screen when the camera is looking at what everyone thinks is Sutil's car then the director cuts to the Marussia pits and pit wall 3 or 4 times showing the team looking worried. Obviously they've seen the telemetry and radio go quiet and know something is wrong.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:39 am

That was a savage crash, I hope he makes it and would truly be a miracle if he does.

I agree with Alain Prost on this one, that boom truck should not have been on the racing side of the barriers. Any vehicle other than an open wheeled car should never be on the track or within the safety barriers. They used to have full size cranes everywhere around a circuit but obviously cost a lot of money to have there but you can't put a price on a life. :(

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 am

Wow - shocked and speechless. Totally uncalled for :(

Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:50 am

I haven't watched the video of the incident but I was casually watching a recording of the race.

My first thought when I saw the "crane" which looked like a wheeled heavy construction earth mover was that the race was over.

Parking that thing in what is obviously an impact / runoff zone at any time with a hot track let alone during a wet race is unforgivable at a remove you and your offspring from the gene pool level.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:10 pm
Profile WWW

I don't see a problem with the green flag waving at that station as it indicates the condition of the track *after* the station, not before it as noted above. The reports I've read said there was a double yellow out at the preceding station per FIA regulations. FIA flagging rules are a bit more complicated than our local stuff but the general idea of sectors remains the same.

Some would ask "why wasn't the safety car out?" That might not have helped because drivers will always go as fast as they can to catch up to the pace car, regardless of conditions (from Lemons to SCCA to F1). I also read that there was nothing the promoters could do about the start time as trains, traffic, police, and other plans would have been impossible to change (plus Bernie has to justify and keep his TV $$$).

IMO, it's a freak accident in many ways (weather? did Bianchi lose downforce from slowing down too much? rivers across the track forcing aquaplaning? ran over debris causing tire failure? rear brake failure from hybrid system? are we afraid to say Bianchi made a mistake? so many things...). Even if the crane wasn't there, it would have ended badly for Jules. Remove the cranes as a result of this accident and people will just complain about too many periods under control of the pace car. Put steel sheets around the crane and you have a nasty head-on accident waiting to happen.

Racing real cars at any speed is always going to be dangerous. Not just for the drivers but for the workers at the event. I just hope Jules does not pay the ultimate price and will recover from this...I have a soft spot in my heart for the F1 teams and drivers that don't race for a profit margin.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:29 pm
Profile YIM

Sorry guys wasn't really trying to start any thing here. I just seen that video and thought it worth posting, explained what happened for the crash part anyway.

I was just commenting on some of the things that the commentators where saying during the american broadcast. It could be nothing more then a horrible mistake on a drivers part or something caused him to go off track there. I don't know and will wait for informed information.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Okay, watched the clip.

Holy F :o

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:12 pm
Profile WWW

ac·ci·dent
noun \ˈak-sə-dənt, -ˌdent; ˈaks-dənt\

: a sudden event (such as a crash) that is not planned or intended and that causes damage or injury

Cameron Wagner wrote:
are we afraid to say Bianchi made a mistake?

Nope. But these days it's always best to lay blame everywhere else first of course. But as a driver, you are the first and foremost person responsible for your safety and like most aircraft accidents, it's usually pilot error that causes it. Adrian said it was too dark to see the standing water on the track that put him (and presumably Jules) hydroplaning off the Dunlop curve. If you can't see the track surface clearly anymore you best slow down a bit methinks, hard to do with the pressures put on a driver (by the team, sponsers, themself) but again, only the driver has the power to choose the level of risk they're willing to take. Ask Niki Lauda about it. ;)

I'm not saying that he didn't suffer a mechanical failure of some sort, or that the stewards or his team or anyone else is free of fault in all this but please, this was an accident and a bad one, simple as that. If anything it really says a lot for how safe the cars are now (and how well trained the medical crews are) versus not too long ago. If they had showed the video of Jules' crash as it happened, I would have told you right then that he was a dead man, just as I said when I saw Greg Moore crash in Fontana live. The fact that he's still alive is amazing in itself but of course his future is questionable.

The other thing to think about too is that while virtually everyone from the drivers to the teams to the fans just love everything about Suzuka. Most of those endearing things also make it a very dangerous track to race on by today's standards. To enjoy all the thrills it has to offer compared to most Tilke fare, you have to be willing to accept the increased risk... which personally I have no problem with... which of course is easy for me to say as firmly I ride my couch for every F1 event. :oops:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Well said as always, Doug.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:51 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]