View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 2012 Bathurst 1000 Classic - RESULTS! 

Excellent turnout of 23 cars for what we hope will be an annual event, our very first Labour Day Endurance race at Bathurst!

Practice during the week showed several drivers with impressive pace, but after 30 minutes of qualifying it came down to a shootout between Zeke's Mustang, Bucketman's Nissan and kiby's Alfa Romeo for the top spot. The King of the Mountain would take pole in the Nissan, looking to add to his impressive tally of five wins at Bathurst, with only seven tenths of a second covering the top 5!

Due to the grueling 2 hour duration of the event, it's impossible for me to write a full recap, but suffice it to say it came down to a mixture of race pace and tire management, as these often do. Bucketman, kiby and Brandon Smith would both suffer offs in the opening laps of the event that prevented them from truly challenging for the win; up front, it came down to a three way shootout between Nabil Abusharr and Zeke in the Mustangs, and Reynard in the RS500.

Reynard would attempt pace over conservation, pitting twice and running Medium tires the entire event. Zeke and Nabil would both run single stop strategies, although Nabil would end up with the more consistent run, taking Hard tires both times.

Bucketman would make an amazing run back up to the front, despite also running on a single stop strategy, AND accidentally doing damage repair in the pits, showing crazy pace and gradually working his way back up to the second position, but would get it wrong over the hump on Conrod and end up falling back, finishing 4th.

Up front, it was all Nabil, eventually pulling away by 27 seconds to take another big win in his brief career--perhaps the most accomplished rookie we've ever had at efnetsimracing, having won the Formula Ford Festival on his debut, then the TC-1 Championship, and now this! Impressive stuff, and probably one of the best drivers there is when it comes to low grip machinery. Zeke and Reynard would round out the podium, Rey having a solid finish now in both Endurance races this year, having won overall at the Nordschleife too. Behind Bucketman, the best result from the "smaller" cars was Rich Mink, who transferred a two-stop strategy into a solid, consistent top 5.

Rounding out the top 10 would be kiby, rookie rev-head (coming from 23rd to finish 7th!), the returning Lam, and the Mercedes of Caleb Marklein and tigeraid.

Great racing guys--this was the best turnout we've had for one of these Enduros, and more importantly, 17 of the 23 starters finished! Anyone who made it through 2 hours at Mt. Panorama should count it as a victory.

Remember, the fall Trans-Am series starts this Wednesday, and HGT this Sunday; hope to see you all out!

1. Nabil Abusharr (Ford Mustang) Image
2. Zeke (Ford Mustang) Image
3. Reynard (Ford Sierra) Image
4. Bucketman (Nissan Skyline) Image
5. Rich Mink (BMW M3) Image
6. kiby (Alfa Romeo GTV) Image
7. rev-head (Ford Sierra) Image
8. Lam (Ford Sierra) Image
9. Caleb Marklein (Mercedes-Benz 190E) Image
10. tigeraid (Mercedes-Benz 190E) Image
11. Mike Campbell (Mercedes-Benz 190E) Image
12. Dave Hutton (Ford Mustang) Image
13. BSmith (Ford Mustang) Image
14. F1Fan07 (Mercedes-Benz 190E) Image
15. helios16v (BMW 635csi) Image
16. bazzaau (Volvo 240DL) Image
17. K Juliot (Ford Mustang) Image
18. Animal Ed (Ford Sierra) Image
19. mr peabody (BMW M3) Image
20. Thomas Benham (Toyota Supra) Image
21. PG Lewis (Toyota Supra) Image
22. J Prins (BMW M3) Image

STATS:

http://tinyurl.com/8foafsl

#66 Adrenaline MMA Silverado

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:14 am
Profile WWW

Great run guys! Lack of food today was causing some fatigue issues for me late in the race, forcing me to back off and let cars go to ensure I didn't take anyone out. Had a blast. Looking forward to the next one.

Congrats Nabil.

efnet Trans Am - #135 Burton Power / GBR Ford Mustang Boss 302

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:49 am

Fantastic days racing.

Highlights
- Pole Position - was a bit of a surprise - no doubt helped by Kiby not realising it was Qualifying - MAJOR LOL !
- surviving 26 laps on hard tyres (well - drove for 24 laps and barely survived the next 2)
- Whenever I went off I kept it pointing forward and got back on track pretty quickly

Lowlights
- having the gearing set so high that I could barely launch
- watching the Mustangs pull away on the straights. I think the Nissan had pretty much the same top end but the Mustangs got there a lot faster.
- coming around the left hand corner onto Conrod straight - reaching over to press the Pit Button and hitting the Pit Speed Limit button instead - then screaming at the screen when I can't accelerate past 100kmph - took me a couple of seconds to realise.
- Entering the pits after having selected Do not repair damage, only for it to show 43 seconds to repair damage - sitting there seeing the win just "pass on by"
- While in a drag race with Reynard down Conrod with about 2 laps to go, front end gets loose (for the first time) over the crest and the car veers left into Reynard - again sorry. I pulled off the track to see if he recovered and got going again once Reynard passed me.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:26 am

A huge thanks to Efnet for letting me run in this event with me turning up so so late(there is always one lol),managed to download the mod,skinpack and track just in time to miss qualifing lol.Did manage to get two laps in during warm up to find a set and quess a stratergy.Got off to a good start in race and had a couple of good battles and managed to keep the sierra off the walls and out of the way of the quick guys,really happy with my finishing position and finishing a two hour event.Had a bloody ball racing with Efnet and i hope i can do a bit more in the future.Once again thanks for letting compete in this event.
The Hairy Beanbag

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:16 am

Well that was draining. 8-) At least I finished it. Maybe next time I'll choose a car earlier in the week & actually practice/make a setup/ plan a strategy for it. Hours before I was going to go with the Supra but changed to the Merc going into practice. I found that it was the most stable for a 2 hour run. It did lose a bit on the straights though. I played with the gearing & managed to get a 2:19 in Q. The start was messy but I only lost 1 or 2 spots. From there I hounded Tigeraid for many laps back & forth. He went into the pits earlier I guess so I was then on my own. I pitted on lap 22 or 23 for meds all around & 23 laps of fuel. I was then pursuing Dave with Brandon coming up fast. As the race wore on, I noticed the Mustangs slowing down quite a bit. Sadly, Dave spun out & Brandon disappeared from my rear view. I had a couple of incidents with a wall here & there; taking damage that seemed to slow the car down by a few mph down Conrod. Maybe I`d done better with hards - who knows. Great stuff all around though. Congrats on the win Nabil!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:46 am

First thanks and congrats to my fellow podium finishers.

During midweek practice I found myself slightly off the time of some of the others in practice but it looked good for the Mustang since it seemed faster than the non-Mustangs. My biggest concern was tire wear as I did a run of 15 laps on mediums and found they really became undriveable once the dots were in the yellow.

Quali - my first time into the 17s and that was good enough for me.

Race - I decided to try a 1 stop strategy with hards all around. I figured if the car became undriveable due to tire wear I would pit and adjust on the fly. I decided to use lap time as my guage of tire wear since if I saw the green/yellow dots I would not make an oblective decision. My threshold was when my laps were high 22s. I concentrated on being smooth, staying off the walls, and not grinding away my right front tire. The first few laps I got the braking wrong at the end of conrod and lost precious time to Zeke who was stretching a gap. I settled down and was able to maintain pace but I saw the guys in front of me starting to slow down. I realized they likely took mediums. Meanwhile Kiby was all over me like a cheap suit. He would close up on sector 2 but my power opened the gap back up in sector 3. He tried one divebomb move coming off the mountain onto Conrod which caught me unaware and I squeezed in on him. Even if that move pain off, I would have been back by on conrod. As the race wore on, I had a nice battle with bucket who was clearly faster than me. Had he not had the extended pitstop, I think he would have taken this race.
Congrats to everyone who finished and thanks for a good race.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:49 am

I had always been best in this mod with the Rover, which I won with at Brands Hatch back when we raced this mod, but decided I was going to go for something with handling over speed for once... But I did it at Bathurst, for some dumb reason. :roll:

Still, Rich managed a top 5 with a similar car, so maybe my lack of pace was my fault. Then again, all the Mercedes seemed about the same pace, right around the back of the top 10. Clearly, Soft/Soft was not going to work, as the tires fell off a CLIFF even when they had lots of life left. Never seen anything like that--I had 4 yellow squares left on the back tires but it felt like I was driving in snow. So maybe Hard/Hard would've been the right choice anyway. Oh well, there's always next year.

Despite my lack of pace, I had a good battles with Mike, Lam, Caleb and rev-head, lots of dicing... I always seemed quickest down through Skyline, The Dipper, and Forrest's Elbow, only to have everyone leave me standing still down Conrod. Turn 2 was absolutely ruining me, I could never get it right and even Mustangs were catching me there. In the end though, I have to call it a success, because A) I've never even finished any of these endurance races, so 2 hours is by far the longest stint I've ever raced in this league and B) I managed a top 10 at a track that despises me.

So, good night of racing I guess. :?

#66 Adrenaline MMA Silverado

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Profile WWW

Congrats to Nabil on the win and the podium finishers, well and I guess to anyone that actually finished this one congrats.

I really was not prepaired for this one with the work schedule I had last week , zero practice other then a little bit to test some cars when this was announced months ago. I think at the time I had decided to take the Comadore but last night decided to change to the Mustang at the last minute, I had sets for both cars. Hindsite wish I had taken the Comadore I think it would have been more stabil over the long run.

Wish I could say I had fun but I didn't, guess I needed race 2 for my good one. :D Had a great start, passed a bunch of cars up the straight and slotted into 6th behind Rich, 3 corners up the mountain lost the backend coming out of a corner and went into the wall. Waited till everyone went by to get going again.

Now way in the back a few laps later I lost control of the car coming into the dipper and hit the wall head on, limped back to the pits with a blown tire for a 42sec stop on lap 5, race was going well for the first 12min of the 2 hours. :x Raced my ass off to make up the 26sec I was down to Thomas and passed him. I only gained positions from people dropping out, I was the last running car the whole race, really sucked, didn't race anyone for most of the 2 hours but I did finish. :D

Next time I'll test more cars, don't think the Stang was good for me in the long haul, had a bunch of offs and near misses.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 am

Congrats to everyone who finished and hats off to Nabil, once again!

Pleasantly surprised to qualify 10th, about 8-10 spots higher than anticipated lol. The Supra was great over the mountain and top speed at the end of Conrod was probably on par with several other cars. I think everything out accelerated it though, especially with climbs on both long straights plus a long 5th gear.

I had done accelerated time testing offline and found I could probably run consistent times with hard tires for the full two hours without a tire change; mediums would last the full race but got really dicey late in the run. I settled on a one-stop, fuel/no-tires strategy running hards. Then Mike Campbell informs me it only takes 7 seconds to change all four tires. I got worried about the pace on hard tires and decided to run meds and take a fresh set at the stop.

Nabil Abusharr wrote:
My biggest concern was tire wear as I did a run of 15 laps on mediums and found they really became undriveable once the dots were in the yellow.

This is what I didn't test and I think it was a fatal oversight. Once I lost over a bar on the fronts it completely lost turn-in, and without turn-in this car ain't got nothin'. I was able to compete near the top 10 early in the race by taking meds but my pit window was around lap 30. I was going to have to run a long time with severely reduced lap times, even though I wasn't in danger of wearing the mediums out. I started pushing too hard trying to hold a couple guys off as the tire wear kicked in and finally made a nasty mistake on top of the Mtn. doing a bit of a pinball but thankfully not collecting anyone. Nasty stuff, I was lucky to be able to continue at all, but it would hardly turn left any more and I eventually parked it.

In the ever popular, imaginary shoulda, coulda, woulda land... if I'd stuck with the hards and didn't crumple the car... :mrgreen:

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:51 am

Eventfull race..
I started with 40 laps of fuel and hard tires, aiming for 1 stop and quick last stint on softs..
On opening laps had a nice battle with bucketman, nabil and bsmith..
Alfa was ridiculously fast through mountain, but couldn't use that advantage because of cars in front.. @ nabil: it was ''controlled'' divebomb, lol.. I literally cruised on the inside .. i know it was no point because of straight, I was desperate to do something, because of loosing so much time through mountain... later had hairy moment with bsmith in chicane in mountain on braking got on inside, but it's too tight, we touched, I hit the wall hard, luckily he got through clean.. sry bout that ..
Car was still driveable and bucket got in front.. chasing him, I got in the wall on same spot and severe damage this time.. limped to the pits, 40 sec repair, put on new hards and add little bit of fuel to have to the end of race, with almost 40 laps to go... later car was not so bad, but started to overheat.. had some clean air and with everyone pitting found myself in 5th place 15 laps to the end.. but then tires started to loose grip, and had problems with traffic, one car wouldn't yield for whole lap, costing me 4 sec and two wall hits... car started to be in really bad shape, twitchy, understeering and overheating.. zeke caught me with his very fast pace, and rich mink pitted.. I had secure 5th in that moment, but it didn't last, as my pace dropped heavily.. Rich caught me 3 laps to go, I knew bmw has similar top speed to alfa so tried to stay in front, we had great fight.. sry for that push in 2nd corner.. my brakes were only thing that worked good in that point.. he got me in last lap on uphill with better exit.. great stuff
Congrats to nabil on win

Very nice mod, with weird tire behaviour.. sometimes in clear air my pace would drop, and suddenly it would get back after 10 laps..
Alfa was very managable, but in race it was sitting duck.. partly because of track, where it had all and only advantage through mountains which doesn't have single overtaking spot or chance to try overtake..
Very hard hard race, weirdly it felt shorter that 2 hours, but still looot of sweat

Last edited by Bojan M on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for the race! It was a great race to return actually, put myself right into the midfield fray.

I had done a few laps in the Mercedes before practice started and then figured I may as well of tried the Sierra.
I did very minor tweaks to the setup and Q'd I thought decently.

During the race I had some wonderful battles with Tiger, Caleb, Mike, Dave, Animal
It was kind of like a modern formula one race, keep your tires under you and it worked decently well.

I went for a real simple 1 stop gas + tires.
27 lap fuel + medium tires.

Due to lack of running it never occured to me to offset the tire compounds! I wonder now if that would've helped.

First stint I burned the tires battling, and they were completely done by lap 26. It was to the point where I was losing places fast. So I pitted, and maintained a decent gap behind and front, leaving me to back off the pace a little until about 13 laps to go when I started pushing to catch up. This strategy worked as I had decent grip for the grip hungry Sierra.

A great return race for me I think, literally found some time to join in and was glad I did.

:mrgreen:

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:26 pm

I wasnt planning on running this race but at the last minute I changed my mind and downloaded and installed eveything 5 minutes before qually hand hadn't even tested a car I decided to run the BMW (Which must be the slowest car in the mod since everyone passed me on the straights) and then I pasted the wall and gave up. (I should have just spectated)

J. Prins

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Wow, after 2 hours I was drained. Espesially Bathhurst! Congrats to Nabil, Bucket, and Zeke for a well played race.
Qually went better than expected and I got down to the low 19's which was a PB in the BMW. Earlier in the week I tested the Skyline and thought I would run that but the BMW was just so stable over the mountain so I went with it.
The start was so-so and I was able to maintain position. Of course the Mustangs all passed me after the first lap but I new that would be the case. I started with mediums and 25 laps of fuel and the plan was to pit twice and run sfts for the last 10 laps. Towards the end of my second stint I was 3rd and thought my Tortoise strategy was working. I pitted for the last time and was about a second quicker with the softs but was only able to catch Kiby.
I had some good racing with tiger early on. Zeke and I had some fun somewhere in the middle of the race. A good battle with Kiby towards the end. This was my longest race so far and it was tough to say the least. Mybe next year we should try one of the V8 mods, preferably the one with the grip. :)

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:04 am

Fun race. I blew several braking points due to downshifting difficulties (I had to heel-and-toe this car and my pedals aren't great for that) but each incident didn't cost me much time.

The biggest handicap was that I changed fuel/tire strategy at the last minute trying for a 1 stopper and after my stop I realized that I was now on Mediums (and soft rear) and one-half lap short on fuel. I did get lapped by a couple of cars and may have then been OK for fuel but I erred on the side of caution, and grabbed a splash of fuel and 4 soft tires with 10 laps left and put the hammer down.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:46 pm

RedRacer 2011 wrote:
Good luck dudes! Someone make a highlight film please.

Well the replay lag for this race was better then average so I figured it's time to get movie makin'! It's far from finished at this point but I figured what the hell, you can view a little something while it's still fresh... and you have 20 minutes to kill. ;)

It's what I'll call my assembly cut for it. Basically me stitching together all the replay captures I grabbed into the general order which I want to use, kind of like a storyboard. I still need adjust sound & video, add titles, transitions, effects, music credits, possibly grab a bit more video and edit it down some more. You get the idea.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Awesome Rey, thanks for taking the time.

Once it's done, if you don't mind, I would like to spread it to the GBR & 2Old2Race forums.

efnet Trans Am - #135 Burton Power / GBR Ford Mustang Boss 302

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Great video rey.. I know this must took a lot of time..
Video stops near the end, last few minutes.. maybe it's youtube with it's famous glitchs

Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Off to a great start Rey! Thanks for doing this.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Nice Rey!! Great job. :)

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]