View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
 2013 Bathurst 1000 Classic - Results are in! 

Feel free to post your race recaps as my replay didn't catch much unless you were near me :roll:

Chris James Triumphant on the Mountain!

Pole Position: Chris James (02:17.340)
Fastest Lap: Chris James (02:19.791)

Running Order
1. Chris James Image +14kg
2. Brandon Smith Image +9kg
3. Tom Lory Image +5kg
4. Dave Hutton Image
5. Caleb Marklein Image
6. Angelo dos Santos Image
7. K. Juliot Image
8. P. Sweeney Image
9. Cam Porter Image
10. J. Prins Image
11. Sherman Baumann Image
12. PG Lewis Image
13. Cameron Wagner Image
14. Dale Beatty Image
15. Pavel Yailo Image
16. Ken Tarvin Image
17. Chris Sherburn Image
18. Brian Potvin Image
19. Michel Sauve Image
20. Dan Minges Image
21. A. Aden Image
22. Barry King Image
23. Tim Porter Image
24. Sheldon Woloshyn Image
25. Gerardo Primo Image
26. Doug Newman Image

WTCC Revival Championship Standings after Round 6
1. Chris James Image 87pts. (+56kg)
2. Angelo dos Santos Image 68pts. (+33kg)
3. Caleb Marklein Image 48pts. (+9kg)
4. Gerardo Primo Image 45pts. (+23kg)
-. Brandon Smith Image 45pts. (+18kg)
6. Tom Lory Image 40pts. (+5kg)
7. Doug Newman Image 32pts.
8. Michel Sauve Image 24pts. (14kg)
-. Cam Porter Image 24pts. (5kg)
10. Paul Schuman Image 12pts. (5kg)
11. Dave Hutton Image 10pts.
12. Rich Coffey Image 9pts.
-. Barry King Image 10pts.
14. Louis McDaniel Image 6pts.
-. Sheldon Woloshyn Image 6pts.
16. Ashley McKinnon Image 4pts.
-. K. Juliot Image 4pts.
18. Chris Sherburn Image 3pts.
-. Ken Tarvin Image 3pts.
-. P. Sweeney Image 3pts.
21. Rudy Kuhl Image 2pts.
22. Gerald Rosa Image 1pt.
-. J. Prins Image 1pt.

Stats: http://www.rfactorreport.10secrides.com/index.php?qualyfile=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxusercontent.com%2Fu%2F29594389%2F2013_09_01_19_49_08-42SQ.xml&racefile=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxusercontent.com%2Fu%2F29594389%2F2013_09_01_21_58_42-01SR.xml&cssstyle=

---------

efnetsimracing 2013 Endurance Racing Championship - Standings as of Round 3

1. Caleb Marklein Image 53pts
2. Dave Hutton Image 52pts
3. Sheldon Woloshyn Image 51pts
4. Pat Sweeney Image 47pts
-- Chris James Image 47pts
6. Phil Lewis Image 41pts
7. Sherman Baumann Image 34pts
8. Chris Sherburn Image 31pts
9. Cam Porter Image 28pts
-- Brandon Smith Image 28pts
11. Dan Minges Image 27pts
12. Gerardo Primo Image 26pts
13. Tom Lory Image 23pts
14. Juan Ciminari Image 22pts
15. Dale Beatty Image 21pts
16. Michel Sauve Image 19pts
17. Fernando Mattos Image 18pts
-- Pablo Ferro Image 18pts
19. Cameron Wagner Image 16pts
20. David Fernandes Image 15pts
-- Anthony Aden Image 15pts
-- Boza Edwards Image 15pts
23. Kevin Juliot Image 14pts
24. Chris Hamilton Image 12pts
-- Scott Ring Image 12pts
-- Nabil Abusharr Image 12pts
-- John Bacho Image 12pts
-- Paul Schuman Image 12pts
-- Pierre Nodoyuna Image 12pts
-- John Culbert, Jr. Image 12pts
31. Jeff Prins Image 11pts
-- Brian Potvin Image 11pts
-- Rich Mink Image 11pts
-- Pavel Yailo Image 11pts
35. Animal Ed Image 10pts
-- Bojan Mikic Image 10pts
-- Rich Coffey Image 10pts
-- Glenn Corliss Image 10pts
39. Tim Porter Image 9pts
-- Tim Porter Image 9pts
41. Angelo dos Santos Image 8pts
-- Mike Campbell Image 8pts
-- Doug Newman Image 8pts
44. Gabkicks Image 6pts
-- Rudy Kuhl Image 6pts
-- John Wilson Image 6pts
47. Louis McDaniel Image 4pts
48. JC Garcia Image 2pts
49. Ken Tarvin Image 1pts

Last edited by CalebMarklein on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Gah! What could have been... :roll:

First of all, I completely botched qualifying. Didn't get in a clean lap, even though I felt I had the pace to be near the front. Started 15th. :evil:

Right away, PG and I got together going into turn three, which put me in the wall and damaged my car a bit. I would consider it a racing incident in the heat of the moment. I thought no one would try a pass going into that corner and didn't anticipate Lewis diving up the inside, especially on the first lap. Despite that, I was in fifth going into lap two. I was doing OK and keeping pace with the leaders until I made a stupid mistake and lost the rear end under braking over the mountain several laps in. Had to wait for a few cars to go by before getting the car pointed straight again. I feel recovered well despite two off-road excursions at the end of Conrod. I was challenging Lory for 4th by about lap 20. Unfortunately, Tom lost it in front of me on lap 22, and bounced off the wall directly into my path. I hit him hard, then the wall. Car was damaged enough to affect the handling. I set up a pit stop to repair damage, get a full tank of gas and new tires. Got back on track in 15th. Alas, the car just wasn't the same after that. Still came back to 9th by the end. I almost had Sweeney out of the last corner, as his tires appeared to be done. He hung on to it though.

Kind of a frustrating race, but I had fun anyway. I'm holden my breath for the next one! :mrgreen:

Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:33 pm
Profile WWW

Cam Porter wrote:
Right away, PG and I got together going into turn three, which put me in the wall and damaged my car a bit. I would consider it a racing incident in the heat of the moment. I thought no one would try a pass going into that corner and didn't anticipate Lewis diving up the inside, especially on the first lap.

Yeah, big apology owed there. Everyone was racing hard into Griffins with cold tires and for once I remembered to brake early enough to get out well. Everyone seemed to be braking earlier than I was for the Cutting in practice and I thought I could just roll up on the inside based on that experience. I didn't even expect contact, much less sending you to the wall :oops:. Karma would rule the day as I got stuck behind Pat and Tom with no place to go in the last corner letting you zip on by us all :).

Also sorry to Ken Tarvin for the bump on top of the mountain. I saw the brake lights, braked myself, then started to coast again not realizing how much you had to check up for the car ahead.

I /think/ that's all the nastiness I did over two hours (to others).

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 pm

I enjoyed a lot the challenge of this Enduro. Really great stuff and lots of fun.

Unfortunety I compromised my chances a lot with a very weak and dumb Qualify effort. That was very bad. :oops: :oops:
Instead of be 7th or 8th, I was 13th and was surrounded by fast straight Skylines all over the place. Because of that I didnt manage to unlock my pace during the race, with a 2 stop strategy, as I was stuck most of the time.
Before the last stint I had a big crash, as Caleb spun and was kinda of in the middle of the track, I had nowhere to go and crash straight into him. Both of us managed to continue, but my car was a bit bent and that had repercusions later in the race.
In the final stint I was in a pretty hard fight with Dave Hutton and Caleb for 4th place. My pace was looking good even with the car damaged, and I had a Podium capable machine. But apparently the suspension or brakes of the car were damaged in that crash, and as the tire got wear, was getting worse and worse. The car was becoming more and more difficult each lap, very twiching on the brakings, and because of that I had a couple of offs, that put me back to 6th, and there I finished with difficulty.

But Im happy to survive this challenge, and hope for another one in the future. :)

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:21 pm

pglewis wrote:

Also sorry to Ken Tarvin for the bump on top of the mountain. I saw the brake lights, braked myself, then started to coast again not realizing how much you had to check up for the car ahead.

All cool. The car ahead was lapped, yet not letting cars thru, and I thought we had a run there in that small straight....and we didn't. No harm, no foul. It was for position I think, so I would've let you go otherwise. You were going to pass me on the straight anyhow.

I had a fun race, despite not really having anyone to match pace with. My tire strategy of hard/meds didn't pan out, and I had to pit much earlier than I anticipated. And during the pit stop, either I screwed up the fuel amount, or the crew did, but they filled me right to top.

During the last stint, I made a real effort to take it easy on my tires. I knew Pavel Yailo pitted earlier, and I could see his smoke and skid marks ahead. And sure enough I began to make time on him in the closing laps. But I thought I had one more lap left (didn't take being lapped into account) and the checkers saved him. Not sure I could've passed if he decided to block, but it would've been very close.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:27 pm

1. Chris James +14kg
2. Brandon Smith +9kg
3. Tom Lory +5kg

Man that paid off. :D
We all three put in RIDICULOUS amounts of practice/prep work into this one. In hindsight maybe a little too much. Examining EVERY possible strategy (only to end up running a normal 50/50) Practice races, full length stints, multipliers to save time, THE WHOLE SHABANG! Zeke was a real fly in the ointment at least for me. He was planted firmly on my tail for countless laps, I think we finally got separated a little from pitting. He would challenge on the mountain EVERY time, and I would pull a gap enough to keep it at a minimum on the rest. Great Pressure Cameron, lots 'o fun. I felt REALLY good about my run EXCEPT for looking down and seeing Mr. James nearly a minute ahead of me. :o Luckily he decided to let me close the gap on the last lap to avoid some embarrassment, but that was a hell of a drive he made!

Finally, I get some decent results in the Mustang!

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Congrats to Chris, Brandon, Tom plus anyone who survived. It's doubtful I could have possibly had anything for Chris out there, yet another great drive.

I spent a good portion of the qualifying session driving 60MPH in an attempt to get clear track ahead but ended mired in traffic regardless :/. I know I shouldn't complain about a 2nd row start in an endurance race but it was about the pride!

I knew I'd be bogged down on the start but figured a good portion of the grid would have the same problem, which proved to be the case. Pat was a little slow out of the gate ahead of me and I saw the rocket-start crowd coming down the middle, so I opted to just play it safe and clean and stay behind him. Sure was a lot of bangin', grindin', and bumpin' all around and in front of me for the first turn of a 2 hour enduro and I lost 6 spots outta the deal. At the end of the mountain straight I watched 3 cars head into Griffin's too hot for cold tires and the aggression switch immediately clicked. I've been in enduros before with fair pace, only to feel like half the field was picking me off early by over-driving while I play it conservative. I had a fast exit and an attitude, and I sure didn't want to give up on the run I had on Cam... which ended in the inadvertant hip-check pass. I decided that wasn't a good driving plan either and dialed it back down immediately.

Things settled down quickly though and I was just getting into the rhythm on lap 2 when it all went horribly wrong in the esses. Checked the mirror to see where Caleb was and didn't quite get the weight shifted properly. It was going wide left over the curb but I caught it. With one rear wheel in the sand it snapped back to the right and somehow I caught it again in full drift before the dipper... and it looked for a moment like I dodged a bullet. But I had it cranked in oppo-lock and when it came out of the drift it shot straight left, of course, nose in the wall RIGHT ON THE LINE to the dipper. I cost Sherman a couple positions; he went right, where there was a hole to get around me, but I had it in reverse to get to the other side of the track and off the line. Amazingly and thankfully I think that's the worst I did to anyone else and hats off to every single driver behind, all of whom successfully dodged my mess.

Got going again, DFL, but the bad news was just beginning. In all my practice laps I never busted the car up so badly. Gritted my teeth, drove off the track a couple times trying to set the fuel to 0 for a repair only pit-stop, and sat for 40 seconds while they fixed what they could. Came back out and fought tooth and nail to stay on the lead lap with a slightly hobbled machine, down about 5MPH. I successfully managed that one single vain pursuit of the night up to the pit stops, knowing full well it was ultimately a fruitless endeavor after Chris pit and got new tires. Chris slowed up in the closing lap to allow several of us to finish on the lead lap (or at least I assume that was the intent). Cheers for that risky but polite move, sir.

If I focus on the positives I had some great racing /eventually/, drove pretty consistently for the remainder, picked up 14 spots after starting the better part of a lap down on the entire field, and the big one: I finished. But the disappointment still stings; to do so poorly yet again at one of my favorite circuits while purposely choosing the correct weapon. And the worst sting of all: finishing behind Sweeney!! Comin' to get you at Spa, dammit! This time I mean it!

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Congrats to Chris on the win and to the podium finishers. Congrats to everyone else the that finished "Survivor Australia". :shock:

Managed to pull a PB in qualy to start 8th on the grid. Race start I launched the car to move right up to Hutty who was not having a good start, he got going but killed my momentum and cars were streaming by me. I think by turn 3 or 4 I had dropped all the way to 17th just due to the bogged start.

Race settled in and had a great battle with Dale who was chasing Hutton who was chasing Sherman, Dale and I swapped spots a couple of times. Hutty had passed Sherman after a few laps and Dale and I had moved up to Sherman. Coming down Conrod I was drafting Dale close and we managed to go by Sherman before the kink. I was able to get by Dale again a little later. The whole middle of the race I just kept watching time gaps back to Dale and Sherman and how far Hutty was in front of me. I was able to pull a gap and basically was driving by myself for a long time and not gaining on Hutty.

Took my pit stop at lap 28 and from there just tried to hold on and pick up anything I could which mostly ended being from others pitting or misfortune. Oh and thanks for the gift on the last lap Pat. :D

Had some great racing with a few guys and considering I lost 8 positions on the first lap and managed to finish 7th one ahead of where I qualyed I'll take it. ;)

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:57 pm

"". I cost Sherman a couple positions; he went right, where there was a hole to get around me, but I had it in reverse to get to the other side of the track and off the line. Amazingly and thankfully I think that's the worst I did to anyone else and hats off to every single driver behind, all of whom successfully dodged my mess."

Oh-that was you? :o That and one self inflicted screw up in the corkscrew was all my incendents for the race. I didnt botch the pit stop-1/2 tank of fuel + no tires. I was a lap down-then I wasnt when Chris slowed. :?: I was gonna be happy stopping after 49 laps-the bathroom was calling-then Chris let me by. SHIT! Now I gotta do 1 more lap! :evil:

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, I nearly forgot that after all the discussion I actually made the "forbidden pass" during the race lol

I know I said it wouldn't be my first go-to move, but in my defense it just worked out perfectly. I was on the brakes early enough to back out if need be but judged I could clear it. It helps that Brian was decisive, predictable, and unflinching about how he was going to take the corner.

Still, yeah, I probably shouldn't have :lol:

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 pm

pglewis wrote:
Oh, I nearly forgot that after all the discussion I actually made the "forbidden pass" during the race lol

Had one of those myself... I was going to do the deed in the next braking zone but the opportunity presented itself and I slipped through.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Seemed like an interesting race, sorry I missed it! On the bright side, I was at Mosport for the first NASCAR race in Ontario in 56 years, and it was WICKED! Pics coming soon.

While Mustangs again dominated, I think it speaks more to EVOL's crazy amounts of Practice (including many full tire and fuel runs), combined with their experience already halfway through a WTCC season on Mondays, that really helped seal the deal. And Chris James, god damn, he's just on point, what can you say. Look at the win margin--that ain't just car.

So congrats to EVOL, their first-ever Podium sweep, and on one of our biggest stages!

I've posted the 2013 Endurance Championship standings, as of Round 3. As expected, while Sheldon Woloshyn has been outstanding in modern high grip machinery the past two events, we move to older, drifty, lower-grip machinery with this race, and as we head into LeMans for the final showdown, the battle has now become INCREDIBLY close! Woloshyn's poor finish allows Marklein and Hutton to leapfrog him in the points, but only by a few, while Chris James ties Pat Sweeney for 4th thanks to his win--throw in the ever-consistent Phil Lewis and all six drivers have a very good shot at taking the Championship at year's end--and the entire Top 10 is still mathematically in it! LeMans is gonna be sweet. :twisted:

#66 Adrenaline MMA Silverado

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:40 pm
Profile WWW

pglewis wrote:
Comin' to get you at Spa, dammit! This time I mean it!

JCulbert Jr wrote:
LeMans is gonna be sweet.

Oh. well then, Comin' to get you at Le... ah crap, who am I kiddin', I've never been good at Le Mans :lol:

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Dale Beatty wrote:
pglewis wrote:

Had one of those myself... I was going to do the deed in the next braking zone but the opportunity presented itself and I slipped through.

Thanks for the video that was my nose on your bumper I wanted to make sure "We" got past. :D

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:23 am

Dale Beatty wrote:

Sometimes the only difference between a bone-headed, overly optimistic bomb and a brilliant aggressive overtake is whether or not you pull it off :D.

You were pretty dialed in with the car and circuit. It took forever to hunt you down and when I got a little sloppy the lap before my pit it took forever and a day to track you down again. You weren't leaving much room for error, good thing it was an enduro or I'd have never seen you.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:48 am

I'm a little concerned that this race overpaid me with good fortune after discoes at the last two Endurance Series events.

I was the last to the party at EVOL by at least a day as far as practice goes but even so I had no hope of matching Chris' nor Brandon's pace and frankly had luck where they had speed here at Bathurst. We ran through a bunch of scenarios and strategies that you would have thought we would have known better than even consider but they had held some promise until we proved otherwise. Notably, I did more laps on medium tires than any other and essentially none with what ended being our race tires and fuel load so that may have set me back a little in the end but it also affected Messrs. James and Smith, who obviously did just fine.

Condolences to Cameron Wagnger, I was sweating the last few laps believing that I was trying to hold onto fourth, only understanding that I had taken third after the scoring caught up and accounted for Cameron spinning and hitting a break in a wall that I doubt anyone even knew existed at almost impossible to hit location at the start of the mountain section while he was unassailably in third place at the beginning of lap 50; freak accident :shock:

Qualifying went poorly for me. I wasn't in a groove with the soft tires and had decided to combine qualifying with another pit stop practice but when I came in for my second set of qualifying tires, I didn't add enough fuel to cover the remaining time and possible laps and while on a good lap with tires that still felt good and time for one last lap, I realized that I didn't have enough fuel for another lap and blew the ongoing hot lap due to the division of my attention.

My luck was good from the beginning. I know from the WTCC races that as long as we a good launch the Mustangs can pick up many positions and this proved to be the case. On top of that, someone spuin in T1 and I had a clear path though, moving me from 11th to 4th or 5th by T2.

I was lacking confidence under braking for the final corner (again, I have always struggled at the braking zone, no matter which mod or car). I wanted to go down to first gear to get a much better drive out but about 1/3rd the time (or so it seemed) I would lock the rear tires. If I only went down to second gear, I could get slowed down reliably and carry a little more apex speed but the car seemed agonizingly sluggish exiting the corner onto the start/finish straight. At the end of the first lap, I choked and 1/3-1/2 spun, blocking I think Sweeney and Benz and promoting Cam Porter a few spots. I know that Cam is normally fast and that the Holden should be more than a match for the Mustang on acceleration and top speed so the only way around would have been likely something bold on Conrod or at The Chase, if we could even get close enough.

My first lucky moment that I am aware of was Cam spinning at the top of the mountain. My goal was a top five and after that happened, it sure seemed possible as long as I stayed on track.

I'm unsure of the exact timing and order of events but I think for most of the first hour, Sweeney filled my mirrors, 18 laps at least. We both made some mistakes that resulted in at least a couple of bumper taps but nothing that affected either of us terribly as far as I am aware.

I eventually broke free (not sure why) and got a bit of break only to have Pat replaced by Cam Porter which arguably was even worse. At least with the Nissans, I felt that as long as I stayed clean for the balance of the lap, I could pull a little gap on Conrod and maintain it through The Chase and braking for the 2nd gear left that came after it; I felt pretty good in that section and was confident. With the damn Holden, I felt that merely surviving the mountain section wasn't enough and that I would have to build a little gap to keep from getting passed somewhere in the Conrod section which meant pushing and risk.

If I got it right, the Mustang would take full throttle while yawed counterclockwise on the chute ahead of the chicane at the top (Skyline?) but I was too abrupt with the throttle and it snapped loose. I corrected, slapped the left wall and got it gathered up and pointed straight but lost so much speed that Cam couldn't avoid rear-ending me, causing him to spin and me to run straight the chicane and sand for fear of spinning if I tried to get through normally. Having bee-lined the chicane under control, I slowed for a few seconds at some attempt to make up for the unintentional cut and for Cam to regain his gap but he wasn't coming and I was back to racing myself until my pit stop on lap 26. I think. Sorry if my memory is off...

After my scheduled stop on Lap 26, I regained the track in 8th place with new tires and enough fuel to make it the end, pretty sure that everyone who had passed when I pitted still had to pit. Hutton pitted on Lap 27. moving me up to 7th. I passed Benz on track to take 6th. His tires must have been in bad shape. That left, Angelo and Caleb who were 10 seconds ahead of me, apparently racing for position.

I should have made a big note somewhere ahead of the race of the minimum possible pit time but with them having a 10 second gap back to me, I was certain that I just needed to maintain it and I would regain 4th spot after they pitted. I had some doubt after a while but was relieved when one after the other pulled off and I was back to 4th with 12 laps to go, still a long time at this track!

I stuck to second gear for the slow corners that I struggled braking for, avoided any notable mistakes, got one scare from lapped traffic but three helpful and predictable others (Ken, Dale and especially Chris Sherburn who I shared The Chase with only a few mph off the usual 171 thanks to his signaling and perfect adjustment to let me through).

All was pretty well while Hutton and Angelo were fighting but I saw that Dave had evidently gotten free and was coming for me. I expected him to be in better condition with tires and confidence and I just sweated out the final laps watching the gap then my mirrors and just eeking out enough to cross the finish line ahead of Dave. Another lap would have been rough, like 18 laps of holding off Sweeney earlier compressed into one!

Thanks John (and temp admin Caleb) for putting on another great annual race and to everyone I shared the experience with, especially Chris and Brandon for making it a team thing.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Last edited by Tom Lory on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:32 am
Profile WWW

Congrats to the winner and podium!!,also to the rest of the survivors!!

Total meltdown on the start,dumped the clutch and bogged it hard,overshot T1 and came out of
it in last place,started making up some ground towards the end of the first stint,came in at lap 27 for fuel and
tires,drove my ass off getting in an INTENSE battle with Angelo!,i tried to rattle him when we went up the mountain
the first lap he had after pitting,trading position several times,side by side through a bunch of the turns up on the hill. :twisted:

Gapping me at times,i pushed hard every chance i had and finally got past Angelo,i was worn out after that but still had a bunch of
laps to go :shock:

I tried not to pay to much attention to position because of my poor start,figured i'd be lucky to get in the top ten but some
attrition,open track and no major mistakes got me a decent finish in a tough crowd!

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 am

This was my first race with my new pedals. Used my clutch as a brake on lap 1. Also picked up some damage early on and tried to limp to the end. Went for hards initially, but should have gone for meds. Pitted about halfway through and switched to meds. More than enough tire to finish the race, but the right front suspension messed me up a bit due to an incident Aden and I had. The suspension damage made me lose 5 mph on the back straight, and a smaller amount through a handful of left turns, as the car was really unstable. Pretty happy with a 15th place finish considering all of that.

Last edited by Pavel Yailo on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 am

Congrats Chris for your win, EVOL for your sweep and for the rest of us who made it till the end. :D

Wanted to drive the stang so bad that I practiced to death in it only to realize I was going to get bit by it at some point so I took to the next best car IMO, the skyline. Anyway, was running consistent mid to low 20's in my first stint and Lory finally broke away from me after about 15 or so laps. what a race with him, I was on him close and he never messed up bad enough to give me a pass. But a wreck in the chute and some tank slappers finally made the last 1/3 of the race a nightmare. The suspension was junk and I was now running 24's and 25's, add to no tires on the last few laps giving way to Kevin and Cam almost got me at teh line as well.

I'll take what I got and look forward to the next one in Dec.

Oh yeah - forgot, sorry PG for the start. I tried to ride the clutch but didn't do a great job. I lucked out on this one so the next one may be yours ..... oh its Lemans did John say.... wooohaaahaaahaaa I like it :twisted:

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:53 am

pglewis wrote:
You were pretty dialed in with the car and circuit. It took forever to hunt you down and when I got a little sloppy the lap before my pit it took forever and a day to track you down again. You weren't leaving much room for error, good thing it was an enduro or I'd have never seen you.

I was... and I wasn't :)

This was my first race with a Perfect Pedal brake. I'd planned to have more practice but the installation didn't go smooth and I lost a couple of evenings fiddling and getting it dialled in. That meant new adventures every time at the end of Conrod and Mountain Straights :)

I goofed on tires due to lack of practice. We used to run this mod at GBR as a 90 minute enduro and I thought I remembered that I could one stop on softs. Well, my fuzzy memory, a change of car from my usual 190E and an extra 30 minutes of racing meant I was pretty well screwed but I didn't realize it at the start.

It wasn't until about Lap 7 that Chris adn I were talking about strategy and he reminded me how fast the tires in this mod lose grip. I calculated how far I could go on a full tank of fuel and limped around for a few laps on the softs until I hit the fuel window. KJ knows the point my tires started going because we were together for a while then the gap started building at 1 sec a lap, then 2, then 3 :D

After the pit I was back out with 110 L and Medium tires which meant I was in unknown territory with the new brake. With 10 laps to go the Mediums were getting greasy and I looked at the time gaps and realized I could duck into the pits and grab softs again and only lose one place.

Now with new softs I had 10 laps to close a 5-7 second gap to Pavel and try to get by. Unfortunately something happened to him in the Dipper and I got gifted the place I lost to the pit stop.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:25 pm

I found a video that PERFECTLY describes what 2 hours in the Stang at Bathurst was like!

WELL AFTER WATCHING I THINK THE BEAR HAS MORE GRIP! :lol:

Last edited by BSmith on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Was having a pretty good race, scraped a couple walls and one spin but no real damage and was getting some good lap times in.
The Alfa was a blast thru the top of the mountain, truly a joy to drive.
Had started on a strategy of doing two stops, first two 20 lap stints on mediums followed by whatever was left on softs.
However, I just used the default pit settings for fuel so as the race went on I realized I was probably going to get 25 laps out of a tank.
And as the medium tires seemed to working quite well I decided to try and just do a one stop.

But then I lost my internet... :twisted: argh... :cry:

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:10 pm

BSmith wrote:
I found a video that PERFECTLY describes what 2 hours in the Stang at Bathurst was like!

WELL AFTER WATCHING I THINK THE BEAR HAS MORE GRIP! :lol:

Hey, where'd it go?

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm
Profile WWW

I must have been BUSTED by the Sesame Street Cops!

REMOVED BY USER! Really?

OK Well I found another. Actually fits better. The bears banter is correct in this one. :D

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Cute.

How you found that video clip does raise a few questions, though :lol:

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:09 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
Condolences to Cameron Wagnger, I was sweating the last few laps believing that I was trying to hold onto fourth, only understanding that I had taken third after the scoring caught up and accounted for Cameron spinning and hitting a break in a wall that I doubt anyone even knew existed at almost impossible to hit location at the start of the mountain section while he was unassailably in third place at the beginning of lap 50; freak accident :shock:

I wondered what happened, yikes :(.

Also Benzene... he was (not surprisingly) doing great out there, not sure what got 'im.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:23 am

I saw Arthur Wellesley in my rearview mirror and I had to surrender.

Seriously, My 3rd set of tires had a problem, I dont know, Felt like cement to me. I was barely able to keep the car on the road, did two spinouts. It was time to quit.

Maybe its a bent suspension or something, because 3 sec a lap is a lot.

Fun race til it happened tho. Had good fights with Hutton, Sweeney and good pressure from Marklein.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Yeah Benzene - sounds just like what I experienced. I'm sure it was the suspension that went off.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]