View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 2015 Bathurst 1000 Classic - Results are In 

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Tepid turnout and racing despite fantastic cars and track, 22 drivers posting times during the week and schedule shift to avoid major US travel holiday.

Overall and Pro V8 Supercar Winner #26 Tom Lory (54 laps, 1:57:46.316, P2 +17.916)

Pro pole: Tom Lory (2:06.425) Image
Pro fast lap: Tom Lory (2:07.983) Image

Pro podium:
1. Image Tom Lory Image
2. Image Brandon Smith Image
3. Image Dale Beatty Image

Sportsman V8 Supercar Winner #15 Sherman Baumann (53 laps, 1:57.668, P2 +15.620)

Sportsman pole: Joel Beaulieu (2:08.836) Image
Sportsman fast lap: Joel Beaulieu (2:09.974) Image

Sportsman podium:
1. Image Sherman Baumann Image
2. Image Joe Beauliieu Image
3. Image Barry King Image

Only 14 cars took the green flag for the fourth running of the efnetsimracing Bathurst 1000 Classic despite what should have been the most competitive field of cars ever assembled for an Endurance Series event.

The 2015 race featured RSM V8 Supercars that faithfully mimic the real world cars, best replicate the real world event, are arguably the easiest to drive of any of the Annual Endurance Series cars and are 100% perfectly balanced in performance. Perhaps with no individual car to explain dominance as in years past, disgruntled drivers had to direct their scorn at the entire mod and track.

Nissan was eager to have Dave Hutton back at the controls one of its top cars but Hutton was unable to compete due to an injury sustained away from the track.

Mercedes' front row starter Rich Minkler suffered a poor start and somehow blew an engine on lap 24, retiring before being able to capitalize on fuel and tire strategy.

Evol's Rich Coffey "hates Bathurst", the reasons for which fully nullified his usual excellent race start over the course of the race despite sharing data with teammates Smith and Lory.

Angelo do Santos joined the ESR regulars for the first time at a Endurance Series event other than the Daytona 2.4 in a Nissan, has series racing experience with the cars at GBR and put in a solid qualifying effort but was stymied by track position and the limited passing opportunities.

Potvin, driving a Ford, failed yet again to execute during a pit stop and was forced to stop a third time, eventually putting him a lap down to the top 5.

Ford's Pat Sweeney was on pace for a good weekend but suffered internet and/or graphical issues that took him out of contention early in the race.

Holden's Kevin Juliot was on short on testing and practice time and suffered car damage as well as a pit lane speed penalty.

Chris Sherburn, who should have GBR league racing experience with these cars, had a conflict with real world interests.

That left the Ford powered Evol duo of Lory and Smith and GBR's Dale Beatty who was invited to drive the Holden Red Bull #888 factory team car normally driven by V8 Supercar ace Craig Lowndes. Beatty delivered a nearly flawlessly executed race to finish third while Smith and Lory contended for the win from the start of the race to at least 1/2 distance.

The race changer probably came on lap 19 when Lory exited the pits on soft tires, committed to running the remainder of the race on softs. Smith was aware of the possibility but apparently Lory was more comfortable on severely worn soft tires than Brandon as Smith had pitted 6 laps earlier. From the time that the two ran nose to tail or side by side the length of Mountain Straight through Forests Elbow after Lory's first pit stop, Lory eeked away about 0.5 second per lap thanks to the tire choice. Both drivers essentially raced themselves about 1/2 of the race to achieve a rewarding 1-2 finish, combining with Beatty to prove yet again that good speed combined with no mistakes usually equates to at least a podium in these events.

Further back in the Pro field there was some close racing and potential for more but one mishap or another affected about everyone but the leaders over the course of the race.

The Sportman were treated to their own classification for the second time in Efnet Endurance Series history. Veteran Sherman Baumann took a big win for Nissan and vaulted himself into contention for the overall Endurance Series championship. Faster than most Joel Beaulieu tallied 103 "incidents" but evidently avoided any big mistakes to hang on for second. Australian Barry King rounded out the top 3 to put two drivers on the podium for Nissan and a nice personal accomplishment.

2015 Bathurst 1000 Finishing Order

01. Image Tom Lory Image
02. Image Brandon Smith Image
03. Image Dale Beatty Image
04. Image Angelo dos Santos Image
05. Image Rich Coffey Image
06. Image Pat Sweeney Image
07. Image Brian Potvin Image
08. Image Sherman Baumann Image
09. Image Joe Beauliieu Image
10. Image Barry King Image
11. Image Kevin Juliot Image
12. Image Rich Minkler Image
13. Image Anthony Aden Image
14. Image Kit Tarboton Image

2015 Endurance Series Championship Points Standings

01. Lory T Image 100
02. Smith B Image 81
03. Baumann S Image 78
04. Nodoyuna P Image 63
05. Beatty D Image 61
06. Coffey C Image 60
07. Aden A Image 58
08. Tarboton K Image 47
08. Juliot K Image 47
10. Porter C Image 45
11. Minkler R Image 43
12. Hutton D Image 40
13. Prins J Image 38
14. Gericke J Image 36
15. Sweeney P Image 34
16. McDonough R Image 31
17. Lemon R Image 29
17. Santos A Image 29
19. Beaulieu J Image 27
19. Woloshyn S Image 24
21. Culbert Jr Image 20
22. Minges D Image 19
22. Sherburn S Image 19
24. Hill J Image 16
24. King B Image 16
26. Campbell M Image 13
26. Richard E Image 13
28. Mikic B Image 11
28. Carvalho J Image 11
30. Potvin B Image 9
30. Sauve M Image 9
30. Lamontagne Y Image 9
33. Porter T Image 8

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:45 am
Profile WWW

replays: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__kGMybzVJMdGlTXzFvRkRyMGM/view?usp=sharing

stats: http://www.vrl-simracing.be/rfactorreport/index.php?qualyfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blinkerfluid.org%2Fgtr2%2FResults%2F2015_09_13_18_19_33-42SQ.xml&racefile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blinkerfluid.org%2Fgtr2%2FResults%2F2015_09_13_20_38_37-03SR.xml&cssstyle=

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:46 am
Profile WWW

congrats to the winners and finishers.

I got a little aggressive on my downshift at the end of Conrod and blew the engine. I didn't even think it could as it never happened during practice. To bad because it would have been interesting to see how the pit strategy played out.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:59 am

Sorry I missed the race. Was off helping out a friend and didn't make it back home in time. :(

efnet Trans Am - #135 Burton Power / GBR Ford Mustang Boss 302

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 am

Congrats to the winners and podium finishers.

Didn't get a lot of practice in for this one and my times were slow compared to most, don't get it but it is what it is. Did a PB in qualy with a 2:09 still almost 3 sec of the top. :roll:

Race start went ok and going up over the top of the mountain the back end kicked out on me and I hit the wall hard in the front, lost 2 spots. From there my night was pretty much done. I was loosing 1 to 2sec a lap to Pat and Sherman in front of me, even guys coming out of the of the pits just in front of me would just be gone in a lap. So from the first half race on I was just driving by myself racing no one, no fun!

Decided to stick it out and came in for my pitstop finally on lap 22, forgot the pit limiter and had to come back in for a stop and go. Came out ahead of 3-5th place and knew they were going to catch me. Which they did the next lap over the top of the mountain, had full intentions of accommodating them to pass but not a lot of places up there( Had no time to even flash my lights). I got slammed into twice. Damaging the car further. Now the car was even slower and over a minute down to 9th place I just parked it, zero fun night for me.

I've had some good race here before and have ended up running by myself for a good portion of the race but at least I felt I had a chance at a ok finish, had no chance of anything here last night.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:34 pm

I've never been quick here but I'm usually consistent. The first stint was mostly following Angelo and Rich (I think). Near the end of the first stint and the second stint I was stuck behind Coffey and as much as I tried, I couldn't pass or force a mistake. Luckily I took extra fuel early in the race so on my final stop I took a short fuel and jumped past Coffey and Angelo. From there I just ran as hard as I could while protecting tires and watching the gap. I smacked the walls a few times but not enough to affect the car.

Third is a nice finish but it was a massive gap up to Brandon and Tom... I had nowhere near the pace required to run up there.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:00 pm

I had the pace to keep up with Brandon at least, but my race was very "unenjoyable", so to speak.
I just didnt had fun.

Got stuck behind Coffey for most of the race, strategy didnt worked. He was crashing everywhere but his car kept running fast, which for me was quite unrealistic. A few times I bumped him and gained the position after he got out of shape or whatever...but I aways gave the position back, wanted to do the right way. Even if sometimes what happened was not my fault.

Anyway, I didnt realize half of the potential I had for the race, and most important...I was not having fun.

Dont know if I will return for next year´s event. Will see.

Good solid job Dale, well done.

Congratulations Tom and Brandon, and thanks Tom for the hard work to put this together.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:40 pm

Ok I watched some replays. The first passing hit got me out of shape, the second hit was Angelo coming up on me in a bad spot I was just going to stay outside close to the wall and thought he would go inside me. I managed to slap the wall as I was trying to stay wide and got out of shape, unfortunately Angelo didn't go inside me he followed me and hit my out of shape car, sorry Angelo.

At the end I was down 6mph on Conrod with front corner caved in from my first hit on the wall and then the 2nd hit. My lap times for most of the race were 2:13's, some 14's and only two 12's. In practice with my race set I could do 11's and 12's easily, I know not fast but was way down on my own time, like I said zero fun for me, too long of track and too long of a race to drive around like that, sorry guys.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:58 pm

It's ironic that Dave Hutton who I'm certain was really looking forward to this race was DNS because of an injury.

Wishing that he is better overnight is probably ridiculous so hope that whatever Dave did to his shoulder is straightforward and heals quickly.

I will guess "separated shoulder" (acromioclavicular separation) based on what Dave said, hopefully a sprain not complete tear. I've had three or four of those, no lingering affects other than a bump on each shoulder and maybe both of my shoulders are in a slight shrugging posture.

It would be helpful if those who didn't participate spoke up and stated why. All of our series are generally seem to have declining participation but I didn't expect Bathurst to be another Formula Ford Festival.

My race weekend went well, I just wish that there was a little more actual racing involved.

I had somehow managed a 2:07.2 during the week and I knew from my sector times that we were headed for the :06s but I didn't come close to that PB again until qualifying. It was good see a few of us get into the sixes and most manage 2:07s. I was fortunate to manage a quick lap that I was content with early in the session so I was able to push harder and do a little better without risking much.

I committed to softs for the first stint, matching fuel load to the maximum probable life of the tires. I knew from race distance simulations that the tires would be under 10% left at the end but with a multiplier in place, I only had only experienced partial laps with the tires so badly worn. I expected that in reality the tires would be severely worn for about two laps so I planned on simply coming in early and switching to hards and a full fuel load if I needed to and possibly back to softs for the final stint depending on how things went, how long the final stint would be as a result.

As it turned out, 18 laps on softs was manageable and I felt that I would be more at risk changing compounds when I had gotten used to the softs. When the tires were well into the red, I focused on braking late and hard and keeping turning and braking separate so that I didn't have to rely on lateral grip and to spend less time cornering. In retrospect, we don't actually spend much time at maximum cornering at Bathurst so it makes sense that a tire that has lost its grip doesn't affect the times so horribly. Many tricky and dangerous corners but no long ones.

I scraped barriers twice, loss of concentration both times, the car did nothing wrong and I also found that I used less and less fuel as the race wore on, evidence of less grip, pushing less and less and/or mental fatigue. We'd been burning about 5.2 liters per lap hot lapping but at the end I think that it was down to 4.9 L/lap.

I barely beat Brandon to the exit of Turn 2 after my first stop but that was about the extent of the excitement that I had other than a big save or two.

Respect and admiration for all who took on the challenge, let alone excelled.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:10 pm
Profile WWW

K Juliot wrote:
At the end I was down 6mph on Conrod with front corner caved in from my first hit on the wall and then the 2nd hit. My lap times for most of the race were 2:13's, some 14's and only two 12's. In practice with my race set I could do 11's and 12's easily, I know not fast but was way down on my own time, like I said zero fun for me, too long of track and too long of a race to drive around like that, sorry guys.

Damage repair is fast and thorough in these cars. I mentioned that in the driver's meeting but I wish that I had had an actual number for how it took and I'm sorry if I didn't emphasize. I want to say around 30 seconds for a full stop with tires, fuel and major repairs including front splitter, rear wing and all dents. I'm less certain whether the body repairs LOOK like they got fixed or whether they truly are 100% fixed and you get your speed back.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

Tom Lory wrote:
It would be helpful if those who didn't participate spoke up and stated why. All of our series are generally seem to have declining participation but I didn't expect Bathurst to be another Formula Ford Festival.

Another missed event. Lots of stuff going on here but realistically I've lost interest in rF1. The feel for driving it is gone. I've finally got the taste of GSC & especially rf2 with its realroad & fantastic physics that driving anything older just doesn't move me to put in the time to practice. And honestly, with the quality of drivers here, I have to put in lots of practice to keep up. Another busy time for me is just around the corner so I'll be away from anything leisurely for a good 2 months. In a perfect world it would be great to move onto a newer sim here at EFNET. rF2 would be golden but even GSC would be a big step up.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:28 pm

I agree Mike. I race at Efnet for the car count and the competition, but car count is down. I put up a GSC extreme server on a Saturday afternoon and if I jump on within an hour there is 20+ drivers on the server. Some good drivers some bad. I have tried to get a GSC series going but only get 5-6 Efnet guys involved. I think a lot has to do with the day and time I chose. I chose Fridays as to not get in the way of Efnet. If I run open server and we get 15 guys running at 11:30 pm est on Friday nights pretty consistently. Content for GSC is just so much better than RF1 but some at Efnet don't want to give it a chance. GSC is $29 which is affordable for everyone in my opinion so I find it hard to believe that no one will buy the sim. If you can run RF1 than your PC will run GSC. I like some aspects of RF1 but it seems like we are beating a dead horse at this point.

I know some are going to say its not modifiable, but the thing is it doesn't need to be modded. No need for league patches to fix stupid issues like sand traps, and cars with more HP to even out the field, or to even remove unmovable objects from tracks. The sim is great the way it is. With all the great content hopefully the league will come to its senses soon and start a Sunday Series.

Edit: Historics have been ported over to GSC also and are great, you can even set them up to use GSC real feel. On another note seems like all the mod groups are building cars for GSC and rf2 the time has come for change!

Last edited by brianpotvin on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:14 pm

These cars are hard work. Really hard work in real life and the mod the captures that. Which is good for a series, but not so good for a once off. I still prefer the TC mod - much closer and more exciting racing and not battling a behemoth with a mind of its own. I also have to say that being slow I accept but three fucking secs takes away all hope for me and to race alone at the back with that kind of disparity makes it boring for me at least. So once my wing was gone and it went sideways over the crest on the mountain straight and then sideways through the cutting I ditched it.

Cool experiment and thanks for hosting chaps.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Congrats to Tom on your win and to the podium as well.

Massive screen freezes at the start for me, from 4th to nearly last I went. Sorry to Sherman for dealing with it. Prepped my gear with updates reset the modem yada yada and wound up with major problems. Was able to keep up with Brian and Angelo in the first stint but after that just ran by myself. the fourth slap with 8 laps to go put me in the 15's so I was lucky Angelo didn't lap me at the end. Liked the mod a lot and was hoping for a big race but no such luck. We'll see what lies ahead. Good luck fellas :D

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:28 pm

Tom Lory wrote:
It's ironic that Dave Hutton who I'm certain was really looking forward to this race was DNS because of an injury.

Wishing that he is better overnight is probably ridiculous so hope that whatever Dave did to his shoulder is straightforward and heals quickly.

Thanks Tom,i do appreciate it.

Congrats to Tom and the podium, especially Dale! great work man!!

Currently feeling at about the 50% mark as far as the shoulder, badly strained/sprained, ice for a couple days then heat and a hefty dose of
anti-inflammatory horse pills, hoping to go back to work Wed as long as it keeps feeling better each day.....hoping :|

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:17 am

P Sweeney wrote:
Massive screen freezes at the start for me, from 4th to nearly last I went. Sorry to Sherman for dealing with it. Prepped my gear with updates reset the modem yada yada and wound up with major problems.

I pretty much watched the whole race on liveracers, your "tracking marker" was doing some really weird shit, lagging badly on most
laps.You would be all by yourself and then suddenly be in a pack of cars, i only noticed this with you and no other drivers.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:25 am

I miss the publications on the Main Page.
The first post with the results would be a nice cover.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:27 am

AngeloDS wrote:
I miss the publications on the Main Page.
The first post with the results would be a nice cover.

That's a good idea. If it's simple as essentially posting the results post, I can probably do that.

I'll see if I can figure out how this week.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:53 am
Profile WWW

Congrats to lory and the podium !
very impressive time guys.

realy hard race for me again my consistency has play vs me :P anyway alot of fun with this mod i hope we will drive on this mod on efnet in the future. i realy like bathurst and i was enjoying all the practice i did on the server. over all im realy happy of this race weekend.

i decide to update my set before the qualif and its was rewarding. nice start racing with potvin , then losing real feel crash reset the wheel. after that the car wasnt the same but my goal was too finish the race, so i did my thing but i had a realy tough race with the broken car.positive point this time i found a way too manage my pit stop corectly :D nice race everyone!

what tire compound you guys was racing ?

And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:12 am
Profile WWW

The fact that you finished the race did not go unnoticed, good job.

Now come join us on Sunday and show us what you can do with a ~25 minute sprint race.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:17 am
Profile WWW

Dave Hutton wrote:
Congrats to Tom and the podium, especially Dale! great work man!!

*takes a bow* thanks, Dave! PS: get better soon!

@Joel: Softs for all three stints for me. I found 18 laps quite manageable (and I was ready for a 19th if traffic allowed, which it didn't) with the worst tire being the right rear at about 25%. Things got a little sketchy on laps 16-18 but it was very manageable.

This track is as hard on tires as you want it to be especially up on the mountain where it's tempting to throw the car around.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:51 am

I've been stewing on this race all day, largely due to Coffey's complaining about how stupid this track is for a race but also because of others who didn't have a good time or chose not to participate for whatever reason.

In my opinion, the only thing wrong with this mod is that the cars are geared too short to allow for passing on Conrod.

We're going to test a rev limit increase, a taller final drive and a taller 6th gear to address the problem. After that, I'll keep an eye on what the real V8 Supercars do and also look for a response from RSM in the form of an update.

As for how to be competitive in an endurance race.

Practice pit stops. I do a race start, a cold tire lap and pit stop. Takes less than 3 minutes each time. 30 minutes instead of watching Black Jesus on Comast On Demand and now you're better prepared than almost of all of the grid.

Run a simulated race distance. Simple Algebra, simple game settings. 20 minutes but now you're another episode of Black Jesus behind. :roll:

Run a full stint. 20 minutes.

Don't just hot lap, hot lap with a purpose.

Don't hit anything during the race. It is possible to have major "oh shit" moments and avoid impact if you are at one with the car and make it a priority. It is possible to avoid "oh shit" moments entirely even if you are not totally at one with the car. Other words for it are driving within your comfort zone, whatever that comfort zone is on that day.

We had over two weeks to get ready for this race. Brass tacks, we had over a year to practice for this race, driving practically any car will get you around this track faster and faster. If any of the top guys spent 30 minutes a week since last year's race driving the Touring Masters Mustang, he would have made it into in the 2:05s with these cars.

The majority of the people here used to be guys for which sim racing was an outlet for real racing, which for most a competitive effort is impossibly expensive, time consuming, difficult and still probably a little dangerous, despite how safe cars seem. Fund me in a real car and I'm out of here. I'd still sim race for cross training but no time for admin duty nor community.

Our sim racing is less costly than an XBox or Playstation habit and it obviously isn't dangerous unless you live in a home with ungrounded electrical and sit down to play in a thunderstorm or I guess if sim racing is the extent of your physical activity / "exercise". Even a obsessive effort's time investment with this league is nothing compared to a real, serious, racing effort. Practice somewhere, anywhere will bond you with the car and even if you're not up front, you'll have fun.

Lastly.

I've mentioned several times that it would be wonderful for any of us to propose special events for off weekends or weeknights. Dream it up, if it gets traction then the admins will help make it happen. This has been on the table for over a year with no takers.

Well, I guess almost lastly for the above.

Thank you Dale for the mod. Any of you who disagree, load up Bathurst with the Touring Masters mod and see how much fun you have driving the car that would have won the race, either the Mustang or Skyline depending on what we did with classes.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:00 am
Profile WWW

Just passing through and saw your post Tom. Dont mean to offend or start a war here and I know this as a very personal baby of yours, but just to address a few things from your post.

First off, in reality one cannot spend hours doing laps at a track for three simple reasons: it costs shit loads of money for the privilege to be on the track, it costs money on wear and tear items and your body, no matter how fit, cannot handle hours behind the wheel - its a physical thing racing as you no doubt can attest to.

So honing your skills in reality takes time unless you are talented, which means you get picked up by F1 real quick, but one cannot, unless your are racing in a corporate team, one cannot just do hundreds of laps in a day or a week at a track.

This mod is hard to master. The top runners have hours on the server for a once off race which is the opposite of what I was told was going to be the case: that these were get in and drive cars. They are not. They are beasts which accurately reflect the ones in real life. I found the Sierra far easier to drive in the TC mod and I had a great close battle last year throughout the race and I also only drove that mod annually. Thats why I was sad about losing the TC mod. Sure, I did not win, but I seldom do in any case, so for me the pleasure is in the racing, preferably close racing. Hot lapping by myself is crap, which is the same reason I do not spend time on the server by myself, or offline by myself - better to drink beer by myself.

In my experience, the guys I race with in reality all have years more time on track then I do currently and that shows, for sure, but I am only a few tenths off their pace. Which is fine by me, I race for the fun and interaction - I am not Potvin 8-) - but I do enjoy close racing. To be three seconds off the pace is really boring for me and it tends to make me negative about my ability, which is against my purpose - enjoyment, not frustration.

I am not attacking you but seeing as I was the only one to have asked for the TC mod and you mentioned it in your post, I figured some of your post was aimed at me, especially as I did not enjoy the few laps I did in the race -lack of enjoyment often leads to lack of performance, ask old women.

Lastly, I am a noob here so take this with whatever you want to, but perhaps you guys need to look at what worked under John and what did not work. I tend to recall that John did not like fictional tracks. Tracks from one era and using cars from another I tend to think also do not work (I tried Meadowdale with the V8's and hated it, but in an Historic it was not bad). I am an idiot, I know, but for me half the pleasure is the imagination I have of driving a car as I see it on TV or You Tube or in black and white photos of the actual cars and races. Imagination is a powerful motivator - ask any Teenage boy :P So if an engine will blow through abuse, then so be it - dont patch it out. If it overheats because you are running it into the red all the time, thats part and parcel of racing older cars, leave the mod as is. For me, and I speak only for myself here, thats part of the challenge - to drive within the limits of the cars, otherwise its just a free for all to hammer the shit out of them with no sense of the history at all.

I have little enough time as is and have little enough time for racing and less for messing around with different installs and patches and so on. Its been bliss having three weeks of not having to patch and uninstall a patch from the ER mod when racing in other leagues with it - sit down, enter game and race.

Thats my 2CW - I hope it does not mean DC's popcorn gif will be posted.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:03 am

I guess I'll add my random 2cents in. :roll:

I like the RSM V8 mod it is very good of all the V8 mods I've driven. I didn't find it that hard to hop in it and drive even with the default setup. To drive it front row fast, to squeeze 10/10ths out of it that took a good setup and practice. I wouldn't mind driving these cars again at another V8 track.

Kit driving these cars at Meadow Dale was just a total one off and we would never do that, it's only point was to introduce the track and get used to these cars a week ahead of Bathurst. The track is a blast with the HistX T/A cars!

I like the Bathurst track it's challenging and very different, but as Kit said if your 3sec off the pace then add in low car count it equals a boring no fun race at this large of a track.

Tom I heard what you said about the pitstop repairs only taking 30sec, it wouldn't have made any difference. I had lost the pack on the first lap and having the car 100% I would have still been driving by myself 30+sec. back, hot lapping now at the same pace as those in front of me.

Low car count this winter will concern me, this time of year still is the low turn out season.

I think RF1 still has a lot of life in it, this RSM mod for example. Yes unfortunately good or bad these days at EFNET at least for me I have to practice my ass off to even feel I might have a chance at some tracks. The competition level is very high here.

Other sims will eventually be inevitable at EFNET. GSC right now is a great sim, a definite step up from RF but it works just like RF so everyone would be comfortable with it, the stock content is great for racing and more content plus additional features like weather are coming, no tweaking/ patching needed and the really big factor is it doesn't obsolete anyone's PC. RF2 is great sim and still getting better but requires some really good hardware to run which I think would eliminate half this league.

A side note; I got the new V8 Super Cars that were in the latest update for GSC at the same time as I installed the RSM V8's mod couple weeks back, as good as the RSM mod is in RF1 the new V8's in GSC blow them away in driving feel and sounds. Had a pretty fun race night on Potvin's server with them couple friday nights ago.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:07 am

I intend to refrain from saying much more especially obvious rebuttals but feel the need to point out that this wasn't really a one-off race, it was the first race with these cars and the fourth race of what is currently a five race series.

I know that much is in the semantics but goals as I see them with the Endurance Series events are to repeat them year after year, offer a fun change from the three weekly series and to provide a serious championship for those who can't be here week in and week out. Daytona was separated from the Sports Car Challenge to meet those ideals; few wanted to race the P2 class for a season but most of the Pros opted for it at Daytona. The writing was on the wall for the Touring Masters mod at Bathurst with malcontent after each race every year so we made a change that perfectly fits the event. V8 Supercars is the Bathurst 1000.

Not being here every Sunday is on my horizon and big races with the guys here that I can take a month or two to get ready are a blessing.

I'd like to see at least one more event, maybe two, added to the Endurance Series schedule. The possibilities are endless as would be opinions on what to run and where but hopefully we can come up something excellent and fun.

I personally would love the challenge of NASCAR at a superspeedway or maybe even F1 at Monaco and would show up for just about anything that any one of us has always wanted to do but those types of events are probably best left as true one-offs on an off weekend. Truly, getting out of bed is more painful than downloading and installing a mod and requires only a few minutes of active involvement. Learning a new mod is another story but take it or leave it in the case of a fun-only event.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:10 pm
Profile WWW

brianpotvin wrote:
I know some are going to say its not modifiable, but the thing is it doesn't need to be modded. No need for league patches to fix stupid issues like sand traps, and cars with more HP to even out the field, or to even remove unmovable objects from tracks. The sim is great the way it is. With all the great content hopefully the league will come to its senses soon and start a Sunday Series.

Edit: Historics have been ported over to GSC also and are great, you can even set them up to use GSC real feel. On another note seems like all the mod groups are building cars for GSC and rf2 the time has come for change!

The quality of mods and tracks has nothing to do with the sim.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

:o I am not Potvin!! I know I'm competitive but am I really that bad?

I love racing in a large group. Everyone likes to win and I know in reality I'm not good enough to win in the pro class. To me I seem middle of the group in pro's which leaves me racing by myself a lot of the time. I have no problems with rf1 and will continue to race in the series, but man I wish the car count was up. When I started with Efnet we had 30 cars on track almost every week. Seems like we have 15-20 now and I really don't think its going to increase that much in the winter.

We need new blood like the Joels, and Eric's. Something needs to be done to improve car counts I just don't know what we can do.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Tom Lory wrote:
I barely beat Brandon to the exit of Turn 2 after my first stop but that was about the extent of the excitement that I had other than a big save or two.

My ass. Watching the replay, we were side by side or nose to tail until exiting Forrest's Elbow when my tires probably about got up to temperature. When most of us on are on the same second next year and we set up the possibility of passing on Conrod, there is no reason that this can't be the lot of us.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:30 pm
Profile WWW

^ private video

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:55 pm

The Touring Car Master Mod still a good option.
That mod have 3 or 4 cars that would be like an 80s DTM series, and they are all very equal on performance.
As far I can remember, the small BMW (sorry dont know the name right now!), Mercedes, Alfa and Toyota on my hands turned pretty much identical lap times at Bathrust.

HSO (Historical Sim Organization) ran a league using those cars only in a series called DTM Historics, and was a massive sucess. I never had the oportunity to race there, but some fellows did and they told me.

I think would be worth a test at least.

As far go to another Sim is concerned...I think my position and preference is quite clear, so...yeah, thats it. ;)

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Video fixed.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:40 pm
Profile WWW

Chris Tarboton wrote:
...not battling a behemoth with a mind of its own.

I watched the replay and it seems that I owe Kit an apology. I have no idea how it happened but this is what Kit somehow ended up with :P

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:10 pm
Profile WWW

I thought his car looked different. That is funny!

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Tom Lory wrote:
Chris Tarboton wrote:
...not battling a behemoth with a mind of its own.

I watched the replay and it seems that I owe Kit an apology. I have no idea how it happened but this is what Kit somehow ended up with :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just wish I was able to drive it as well as that.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]