View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 what's next? 

After Sunday's BTCC races, we will be half finished with that championship and need to start thinking and discussing what's next.

A few ideas:

I am considering having a one-off weekend immediately after the end of the BTCC championship that would mimic the real world BTCC format with success weight and three races at whichever track we vote as our favorite. 50% possibility that we'd shorten the races up a little so less of a tire management challenge than it has been. I only checked a couple of real world results for race distance, not enough data for exactness but seem to be around 25 minutes which is a little longer than what we've been doing.

Lotus Cortina and re-run the BTCC schedule but with only one of the Brands and Snetterton layouts to reduce to 8 rounds to better fit the calendar. Pros and cons to using the same tracks but makes for an easy comparison between great modern cars and arguably the best historic sedan in rF2. Reality check as to widespread appeal.

Stock Car Resurrection 1971-72 @ familiar USA and probably Aussie tracks, 8-10 rounds. Felt superb to me @ the Riverside test races but require quite a lot of setup, at least initially.

I don't know that we're ready for GT3 but would be a reality check as to our ability to attract new drivers. Simtek GT3s are free and great, paid DLC S397 GT3 are the basis for international rF2 competition.

There are scores of other great cars that could keep us entertained for years with spec series.

We need to keep in mind that we'll have another checkpoint to pass at the end of June to decide whether to keep ESR going and it what form.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:21 pm
Profile WWW

I'm up for using the same tracks. Stockcar was good fun. Cortinas always a blast. Just throw whatever, I'm in.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:33 pm

Cortina, Stock car revival and Aussie I dont really like to be honest.

Staying with BTCC is fine to me i like them very much, still a lot to learn, they make very good fights. Maybe we could race some of the STCC (Scandanavian version of BTCC ) tracks like Ring Knutstorp https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=558920672&searchtext=Ring+Knutstorp

I am also up for GT3 if you guys want and I Tried Enduracers 5 and Flat6 cup look fun also for modern cars.

And all the tracks of the actual season espacially Croft were very good amd very fun. I used to look real world onboard qualify from bbc to learn the sim track ! What ever you guys chose im in !

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Due to technical difficulties, to post you need to:

Disable BBCode, Do not automatically parse URLs, Attach a signature

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:37 pm
Profile WWW

We will discuss this tonight after the races.

If you can't participate in the races, please join us on Teamspeak after Race 2.

SARS-CoV-2 "coronavirus" is a challenge that is going to disrupt all of our lives but may also present a once-in-lifetime opportunity for us to spend an unusual amount of time getting our next series right and on compromise and guilt free sim racing.

I brainstormed last night with Hutty. The best new idea that emerged was to run Simtek GT3 on the real world GT3 World Challenge Europe schedule. The cars are great and all but maybe of one the tracks are free and available.

A major twist would be to run three championships on the same schedule: Twin Sprint, Sprint and Overall.

At each of the tracks, we would have Twin Sprint format one weekend and a one hour (real life race distance) Sprint the following weekend. Drivers could race every weekend or every other weekend to be in contention for one to three championships which will help us all balance our racing with other summer activities. There will be some points logistics to figure out but I believe that'll be easy.

My expectation is that all of the regulars will participate regardless of what we drive but in order to attract new drivers we need to tap into those that are new to sim racing and the cars that interest them which predominantly is going to be current real world championship series.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:03 pm
Profile WWW

I still like vintage cars the best. That's why I came here in the first place. But if modern cars draw the bigger fields, then that's the way it should go ... I guess.

"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:13 pm

It has been decided that we are going to go with the Simtek GT3 car set, as close as we can get to the real world track selection and the 10 + 10 round triple championship format as explained more comprehensively above.

The plan is to have the GT3 cars on the ESR server from after BTCC Race 2 thru Monday night until the end of the BTCC season, by which time two test race weekends and the complete schedule will be posted.

Historic and vintage cars will not be abandoned and will be up for consideration for whatever follows the GT3 championship after Labor Day weekend with one-off race weekends on the various holidays before then a possibility.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:00 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]