View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:10 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Covid 19 Lockdown 

California followed a consortium of San Francisco Bay Area counties and has ordered people to stay home expect for essential purposes.

We are not under anything approaching martial law and can freely leave home for supplies, walk our pets and for exercise. As an electrician, I may classified as an essential occupation but I expect to essentially be out of work till at least April 7 which was the date stipulated in my county's order. California did not specify a date.

Instead of working, I'll be working on my endless list of tasks around the house and I'll be able to spend extra time on ESR stuff. Priorities will be going through the entire front end of my Ford Ranger to get it ready for some serious adventures and getting both my Suzuki DRZ-400SM and Yamaha YZFR6 ready to ride, neither have been so much as started in years.

My discipline under conditions like this is very good and I am treating SARS-CoV-2 as deadly and consider everyone including myself as being infected until proven otherwise.

7 days is too much time to get ready for Sunday so I'll certainly be hijacking the server for Simtek GT3 track testing and some social interaction, I'm past bored with the people within the walls of my home :lol:

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:58 pm
Profile WWW

I find out tomorrow if I'm home for the next while. My position is not essential but I work for government and could be deployed to the emergency operations centre or back to my roots in our water lab or... I'm on leave.

If I'm not working I plan to start an online statistics course, run network cable to my garage, simrace, and catch up on some fitness (I have a smart trainer for my bike and some fairly rural roads around my house).

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:04 am

We are thinking the same is going to happen here also, I know it has for Pat. So yes if it happens more sim racing/ testing. Along with a ton of projects I'd suddenly have time for as long as the weather gets nicer like they say for next week.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Yes it has Kevin, its a ghost town here. I have been running my business since 2006 and last night PA Gov. Tom Wolf ordered all non-life substaining businesses to close effective last last night. So I laid everyone off and told them they could show up today for the last hoorah. Noncompliance means jail time, fines and/or forfieture of state/fed bailout funds to go into effect midnight tonight. Well, since then my major customer has written me to inform I will continue to source product since they manufacture pharmaceutical equipment and therefore I am a life substaining business therefore dodging a huge bullet. For the first time in my life I actually started to file for unemployment last night. That was a very unnerving experience for me, one I can only imagine to those I've placed in before. You learn a lot in times like this.

So, I will now have to make my annoucement tomorrow to my employees and hope everyone returns Monday. It will be their choice to return, their risk but I'm in the middle and I may be the owner but I still have a boss too.

Sorry if my saga really went a little deep but I've been reeling over this and it felt good to get it off my chest. Now, hopefully I can concentrate enough to try and whoop some butt on the track :D Take care fellas and try to stay healthy. I'd hate to hear of any that may have fallen.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Happy to read the mostly good news.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:48 pm
Profile WWW

Well it's happening here also boys & girls. Complete lockdown in Quebec & Ontario as of midnight Tuesday/Wednesday. Essential services only. Being a farmer, we're considered essential (I feel special) so we'll be able to order/receive parts etc along with seed & fertilizer. I'm glad they finally decided to do this although it should've been done sooner.

These are difficult days for everyone & I worry they'll only get worse before getting better.

Stay safe everyone.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:59 pm

I'm still at work. It's surreal. I work downtown and there's hardly anything open now. I went for a walk at coffee time (my favourite coffee shop is one of the few open businesses) and the only people on the street are the homeless/mentally ill and the street kids. I don't think I'll be leaving the office for a while. I'll be going straight from my house to the office's underground parking and back.

I have to hold yet another meeting with my staff tomorrow as I walk the line between my three managers on one side and a 10-person team on the other. I fully expect a staff revolt tomorrow. We've been deemed essential and only a limited number of people can work from home and they all get to hear that news tomorrow. I think one of my staff is going to stay home and dare the employer to fire him. He's on the union executive so you can imagine that he's not backing down.

Personally, I wish we'd shut down for 2-4 weeks. It would be worth burning all my vacation time for the peace of mind.

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:35 am

I received another letter today from another one of my major customers informing me we're life sustaining and not interrupt the supply of parts. I too feel special but most importantly I feel pretty good about not being behind bars and able to race you guys :D

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:54 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]