View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Rolling starts for Round 2 

I need to minimize the amount of time that I spend on this so here it is pretty quick and mostly to the point.

We are going to try rolling starts for Round 2.

It is a reaction to Race 2 at Portland BUT I am glad it came up as I'd forgotten that we were going to strongly consider changing to rolling starts when we move onto rFactor 2 and were supposed to entertain doing so for Trans Am largely to get us ready for the future.

Immediately after Race 2, all of the Sportsman present voted to separate themselves from the Pros for the Race 2 grid inversion for the next round and start in the back, behind the top finishing Pro. It sounded good to me at the moment but I realized that by doing so we lose the grid bolstering effect of the full inversion and also the opportunity for the Sportsmen to race wheel-to-wheel with Pros which they have done admirably on many occasions. The Sportsmen are rarely to be blamed so I especially don't want to penalize them or hinder their development.

The biggest gap in pace between the two classes and within classes is the start and Lap 1.

It is definitely possible to get a bad start doing a rolling start but it is far more likely to cause a loss of position than a pile-up.

A rolling start help produce the desired effect of the fast guys having to race to the front not simply barge their way to the front on the start or gain positions by taking big risks.

It will take some practice for us to get good at rolling starts but I think it is worth it. Practically speaking, we might be a little too spread out before start/finish but should bunch up 1-3 corners in, especially Race 2.

All club automobile roadracing uses rolling starts as do many if not most professional series, SCCA Trans Am used rolling starts, fwiw.

This feels like a way to add realism without diminishing the fun.

We'll eliminate the practice starts to get back most of the time spent on the formation lap.

It is vital that everyone makes a big effort to keep the field as tight as possible without hitting other cars or running off track. I assume that everyone drives a car in real life and most of us haven't caused any accidents. If we can do that, we can complete a formation lap.

If you hate this idea, please speak up.

2015 SCCS GT1 Pro Champion
2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion
2018 Simca Abarth 1150 Corsa Cup Pro Champion
http://www.loryelectric.com

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 am
Profile WWW

I'm game to try this. Hoping it helps everyone out.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:37 am

Willing to give it a try again. It does introduce some other issues, most namely it tends to stretch out and separate the field right from the beginning sometimes.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

KJ points out the biggest problem and why I haven't been a fan of rolling starts.

I think that we've often been so spread out on the very rare for us rolling starts because everyone was inexperienced. Real life racers are literally bumper to bumper in some series which is obviously much tighter than we are on the grid.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:29 pm
Profile WWW

Rolling start should improve things, esp. as everyone gains experience with it. Might need to remind folks to add an extra lap of fuel.

"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Practice off line with 15 AI. If you can avoid piling into them, the rest of us should be easy.

2015 AES Champion
2016 AES Champion
2017 AES Champion
2018 GTC-4 Pro Champion

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:47 pm
Profile WWW

It's worth trying. I've never liked the standing start reverse grid in these cars. The speed differential by T1 can be extreme.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]